bio-wheel's

Fish Fry

I have a punguin filter with a bio wheel 150 and i'm told by my lfs (petsmart to be exact) that I never should replace the wheel. Is this true or should I change it. ???

atmmachine816

Nope never need to replace it or wash it. Just let it float in your tank water if you have the filter turned off for 20minutes. It holds a lot of good bacteria and if you let it dry out it will die.

JMatt1983

only replace the wheel if you absolutly have to, ie: its so worn out that it no longer holds together, just rinse it off in used tank water, same with the filter cartridge

Fish Fry

thanks guy's it just seemed funny that I wouldn't have to replace it. but now I know for sure what to do.

Jimold

I've heard the same thing... Never replace it, and never ever WASH it, especially in tap water. The chlorine will kill the bacteria living on and in it.

COBettaCouple

it's like those tags on couches that you never remove.. if you disobey, THEY come for you!

I like that about the bio-wheels.. it's good to check the flow on it from time to time. if it gets slower any, see if the intake needs cleaned or if there's some obstruction, etc.. we had a huge setback in cycling a 5 gallon tank fishless because it had gotten clogged and half the bio-wheel dried out without us knowing it. Now I check out tanks with them regularly for good flow.

jayfl234

That is what I do also clean the intake tube well with the propeller and the wheel will move better. That is what I do anyway

Latest threads

Top Bottom