Bio Wheel

smokeypea

Reaction score
i have a bio wheel power filter 150, today i noticed that it was turning very slowly, i had just done a water change, so i put some more water in, still was turning jerkly, opened the cover slightly moved the filter cartridge, the wheel is moving better now but making some noise, on the bottom of the filter, near the wheel its got some muck on it, like slime, yuckkkk, any advice? i know i am not suppose to wash the wheel but why is it going slow? thanks.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can put some old tank water in a bucket and try to swish it to get some of the gunk off. Do you have any other filtration going? Is there other filter media in that filter?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you cleaned your impeller? My wheel will quit turning completely if I do not clean it at least once a month.

Rose

smokeypea

Reaction score
Thanks for advice, i took out the bio wheel, was careful nopt to touch it, and swished it around in a bucket with tank water in it, also i washed the impeller, and intake tube ( didnt know i had to do that) oh YUCKKKKKK , the gunk inside was revolting, , also i took out the filter and gave that a swish too, cant believe it was so mucky, anyway put it all back together and it seems much better, wheel still a little erratic, but better than it was, hope i did right, thanks again, this site is ace. one more thing, if the filter get so full of gooey gunk, should i change it for a new one? or just wash it? i know u dont change the wheel.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rinse the filter media in USED tank water to remove the worst of the debris and replace it. You do not have to get a new one unless the water will not run through it at all. Rinsing it should help.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom