Bio-wheel Won't Spin.

1. Shmoked Initiate Member

I've got a biowheel that has slowly stopped spinning. Now it's at a dead stand still and won't move.
    I've done some searching and found that if I clean it up a bit it should work. That I did and nothing helped. I've let it soak and float around for a few hours and still nothing.
    There's no build up on either the bearing or wheel components. It looks like it's got some dead scales on the fins.

So, my question is I've got a brand new bio wheel from a previous marineland pump that failed on me. Can I use the new biowheel without risking to cycle my tank over again?
    Wouldn't the bio inside the tank counter the new bio wheel instead of resetting the cycle instead?

Thanks. :/
    I've got pictures but they don't do any justice.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

As long as your tank has some mature gravel (2+ months) you'll be fine. I really don't like do this because they are over priced but you could buy beneficial bacteria.

3. Jayd976 Member Member

A couple things could be wrong with my experience with them. Either the spray bar is clogged up and not spraying enough water on it to spin it (typical issue with the emperor model). Simple fix get a toothpick and stick it in the spray bar holes to unclog them. Or the filter pad may need to be replaced as its not allowing sufficient water flow through to spin it (typical with penguin models).

4. kabellem Member Member

My biowheel did this too, and I discovered that the water flow had slowed enough to not be able to push it. I cleaned out the intake tube and swished/squeezed the cartridge filter, plus removed the carbon by cutting an X in the floss. After that the wheel spun again.

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Agreed. May be a water flow issue. I think that biowheels are just supplemental biofiltration anyway, but that's just an opinion. I think you still have enough cycling bacteria in other places in the system if your tank is mature. Check your flow. Replace either the biowheel or the potentially clogged cartridge, but maybe not both. If you replace the media cartridge, re-seed the new one with the old floss cut away. Your cycle should remain intact. Good luck!

6. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

When I had a bio-wheel based filter, I had issues with it stopping occasionally.

I ended up taking a small knife and scraping the pegs on the wheel and that helped for a bit.

7. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I had a Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel and they stalled on me. One would move the other wouldn't. As long as they are still moist and they spin a little you should be fine.

I found the carbon cartridges were the ones that caused the problems so I just moved it a little here and there.

8. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I had a Penguin Biowheel filter on my 36g bowfront and the wheel also stopped spinning. It drove me nuts, so what I did was I took it out of the tank and then I placed it in my trash can. I've been running a Fluval canister ever since and I'm happy as can be with it.

9. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I took mine to an Aqueon trade-in event.

10. Stanley C. Member Member

As long as the wheel is touching the water, it does not need to spin. The water is still being absorbed and released by the material in the wheel.

11. Corine Well Known Member Member

I believe this is what it actually says/used to say in the manual.