Bio Wheel Will Not Spin

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by 0morrokh, May 2, 2006.

1. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

My Bio-wheel like won't spin. (refraining from using bad word) If I stick my finger in there and give it a push it works just fine, but then it eventually just stops. Anything I can do?? (besides cuss at the thing... :mad:)

*in... out... in... out...*
    ;D

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

is the filter media in all the way?

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

luckily the tank is right here in the family room...so yeah I just pushed on it a bit and it's as far in as it's gonna go, which hopefully is all the way. ;)

4. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

I dont know anything about biowheels but could it be that the flow is to slow? Thats one reason I could think of why the wheel might stop.

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

But I don't see why the flow would be too slow. ???

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

Intake tube could be clogged or blocked, the impeller that draws water up the tube could be dirty and in need of cleaning or your biobag could be at the end of it's lifespan.......Did you try any of these?

7. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

marineland filters dont use bio bags they use "rite size" filter cartages

8. vinWell Known MemberMember

Same thing....different name....They serve the same purpose........

9. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

you ant add extra media to the marineland filters

10. vinWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure what are you talking about..... ??? Who said anything about adding anything extra???? All I asked was if it had been changed recently......I used the wrong terminology........The only thing that would slow the water flow down would be how the water is drawn in and the media it flows through...There is really nothing to these filters.

It's a small motor which drives an impeller, which spins to draw water through a tube and push it through fliter media....It's that simple.....If all of these are intact and the water flow is unrestricted but trickling and the wheel itself is seated correctly but not spinning, then the motor is spent and the filter needs to be replaced.....

11. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

sry i used the wrong words they differ because you cant add extra media to the marineland ones

12. vinWell Known MemberMember

Again.....Who said anything about adding anything???? ??? ??? ??? All I said was they were and did the same thing but you informed me that they were called cartridges and not biobags.....WRONG TERMINOLOGY USED BY ME.........there is absoultely no difference in what their function is......

13. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Make sure there isn't any filter floss or algae wrapped around it.

14. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Will the bio-wheel come out? If so swish it in used tank water just like you would your filter media. Sometimes they get clogged also and need to be swished ;)
    Carol

15. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

All good ideas except the filter and tank are brand new--set up for like 2 weeks. I have been cycling with flakes but I don't see how enough flakes in this amount of time could have gotten into the filter (most just get stuck to the outside of the intake) and clogged it enough to slow the flow of water.

16. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Did you take it out, regardless? There may be something very small - even a piece of hair - which could be wrapped around it.

17. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Sorry, wrapped around what?

18. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Around the wheel.

19. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Oh, I didn't catch that. I will see if there is anything cought on the wheel itself.

20. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well then...nothing wrong with the wheel. It spins just fine if I give it a push but it eventually stops again. (insert expletive here)
    Well, oh well, it is still a great filter even if the BIO-Wheel doesn't work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice