Bio Wheel Will Not Spin

0morrokh

My Bio-wheel like won't spin. (refraining from using bad word) If I stick my finger in there and give it a push it works just fine, but then it eventually just stops. Anything I can do?? (besides cuss at the thing... >)

*in... out... in... out...*
;D

fish_r_friend

0morrokh

luckily the tank is right here in the family room...so yeah I just pushed on it a bit and it's as far in as it's gonna go, which hopefully is all the way.

ebbandflow

I don't know anything about biowheels but could it be that the flow is to slow? That's one reason I could think of why the wheel might stop.

0morrokh

But I don't see why the flow would be too slow. ???

vin

Intake tube could be clogged or blocked, the impeller that draws water up the tube could be dirty and in need of cleaning or your biobag could be at the end of it's lifespan.......Did you try any of these?

fish_r_friend

marineland filters don't use bio bags they use "rite size" filter cartages

vin

fish_r_friend said:
marineland filters don't use bio bags they use "rite size" filter cartages
Same thing....different name....They serve the same purpose........

fish_r_friend

you ant add extra media to the marineland filters

vin

I'm not sure what are you talking about..... ??? Who said anything about adding anything extra???? All I asked was if it had been changed recently......I used the wrong terminology........The only thing that would slow the water flow down would be how the water is drawn in and the media it flows through...There is really nothing to these filters.

It's a small motor which drives an impeller, which spins to draw water through a tube and push it through fliter media....It's that simple.....If all of these are intact and the water flow is unrestricted but trickling and the wheel itself is seated correctly but not spinning, then the motor is spent and the filter needs to be replaced.....

fish_r_friend

sry I used the wrong words they differ because you can't add extra media to the marineland ones

vin

Again.....Who said anything about adding anything???? ??? ??? ??? All I said was they were and did the same thing but you informed me that they were called cartridges and not biobags.....WRONG TERMINOLOGY USED BY ME.........there is absoultely no difference in what their function is......

Marc

Make sure there isn't any filter floss or algae wrapped around it.

Butterfly

Will the bio-wheel come out? If so swish it in used tank water just like you would your filter media. Sometimes they get clogged also and need to be swished
Carol

0morrokh

All good ideas except the filter and tank are brand new--set up for like 2 weeks. I have been cycling with flakes but I don't see how enough flakes in this amount of time could have gotten into the filter (most just get stuck to the outside of the intake) and clogged it enough to slow the flow of water.

Marc

Did you take it out, regardless? There may be something very small - even a piece of hair - which could be wrapped around it.

0morrokh

Sorry, wrapped around what?

Marc

Around the wheel.

0morrokh

Oh, I didn't catch that. I will see if there is anything cought on the wheel itself.

0morrokh

Well then...nothing wrong with the wheel. It spins just fine if I give it a push but it eventually stops again. (insert expletive here)
Well, oh well, it is still a great filter even if the BIO-Wheel doesn't work.

Marc

If it's still doing that then the water isn't getting to it right - there might not be enough water-flow going through it, see if raising the media allows it to work or if removing the media will speed it up. If it's too thick (the media) then the water will just overflow over the piece of pipe that it travels through into the filter, or near there. Also be sure (if you haven't already) to rinse out the tube as there could be chunks of something stuck in it.

0morrokh

The water isn't overflowing. However, I decided to try removing the media just to see what happened and the flow sped up a lot (and the wheel started spinning). I don't see how that could happen...the tank is new and the media has like nothing on it. ??? Anyway, I slowly put the media back in and didn't push it down as hard, and the wheel kept going although more slowly. I'll just see what happens...

Marc

If it's still spinning oddly (erratic, slow-fast-slow-fast, etc) try shaking the carbon around inside of the media and making sure it fits in perfectly. It very well may just be an oddly shaped piece of media.

vin

Sounds like the motor in the filter may be going.......It should have enough strength to pull the water up the intake and force it through the media....It doesn't sound as if it's able to do that.....

0morrokh

Um, the filter's been running for 3 weeks.

vin

0morrokh said:
Um, the filter's been running for 3 weeks.
Umm SO WHAT? There are such things as defects.....Age has nothing to do with manufacturing defects....Furthermore, if it's not working properly TAKE IT BACK.

0morrokh

Good point. I'll keep messing with it though...a few days ago I god the wheel to start spinning somehow...but now it's not spinning again...ugh, the thing is so annoying!

chickadee

yes the flake junk could have the impeller completely clogged. You need to clean the impeller first and then try to clean the tubes. Even though it is only 2 weeks the flakes can really have it clogged.

Rose

chickadee

If cleaning the impeller doesn't work call the good folks at Marineland they are wizards at getting things going and will spend as much time as necessary walking you through it.

AND we will NOT have any more of this arguing on the forum. If you have anything to say to each other you can say it in a decent and respectful manner. No yelling and acting like a bunch of spoiled children, okay. If you have a private problem with someone take it to a Personal Message.

Rose

0morrokh

I will give it all a good cleaning.  I just looked at the intake tube and realized it is like totally covered in bits of plant. :

atmmachine816

You need to get brushes to clean the tube with if you havne't already, you need to do that once a month along with cleaning the impeller, that's what I do. Did you check to make sure the bio-wheel things are pushed in properly, if they aren't that might be the problem, like they aren't bent at all, it happened to Greg. Make sure that the tube is pushed all the way down into the filter box. Also just a correction Vin sometimes it's not the filter but just that the media cartridge is just too thick for the water too be pushed through and make the wheel spin, I'v found that true with my filter, I don't know if you have a bio-wheel but if you don't they are a little different from power filters just to let you know so you don't get mad if what you say doesn't apply to a bio-wheel, though I'm sure everybody is just trying to give good advice and we are just misinterpreting things.

Austin

0morrokh

Really late update, the filter (and bio wheel) is working fine now. It just needed someone to show it who's boss! ;D : ???

Butterfly

That's great!!!! Thanks for the update Boss
Carol

Top Bottom