Bio-wheel Plus Cannister Filter? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Aphelion0, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Aphelion0

Aphelion0 New Member Member

I've been browsing this forum for a while now, so I thought it was about time I actually posted.

I've owned a few aquariums up until now - all tropical freshwater. Recently, I bought a 125l tank which I really want to deck out and spend a lot of time/money working on. Though I've loved my past tanks, they didn't get much TLC due to study and work commitments, but now I have a bit more time on my hands to really go to town on a nice setup.

I'm putting together a wish list of all the things I want to eventually have in this new tank. Currently, I have the filter and heater that came with it, but I'm hoping to replace the filter with an external one with a bit more kick. I'm also planning to invest in a CO2 system to give my plants some love.

Anyway, I've recently been reading about bio-wheels and the huge amount of good they can do when it comes to biological filteration. My question is, is it worth having a bio-wheel in addition to a cannister filter? Or would the bio-wheel just be redundant? The filter I currently have is a Fluval U3.

My tank is planted, soon to be heavily so. It currently only houses a few cherry barbs, but I'm hoping to add some shrimp and other small shoaling fish over the next month or so.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I think the filter is enough for the tank, although I don’t believe that is a canister filter. It’s just under 5x turnover per hour, which is sufficient. You could do both if you want to, I always go overkill on filtration for my tanks, and thats never a bad thing.

3. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Ah yes, I meant power/internal/whatever the term is for one of those. Thank you!

I was thinking along the same lines. Better to over filter than under filter, right?

A bio-wheel on its own doesn't seem sufficient, though. For a tank this size, at least. Would that be correct? Or can a bio-wheel be the sole source of filteration?

4. Buganjimo

Bio wheel can be the only one, but you’d need a big one. I say get it (if you have the funds of course) and if you realize you dont like both, you have an extra filter incase there’s a mishap! But over filtration is always better. I say get it.

5. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Interesting. I didn't consider the benefit to just having a spare filter, worst comes to worst.

Okay, thank you! Appreciate your input. :)

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

I run Bio wheels and canisters on all our aquariums but the 10 gal QT.

7. Buganjimo

No problem, never hurts to get a second opinion, thats what we’re here for! :)

8. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Thank you! That's helpful to know.

9. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Hmm... I actually just realised that I probably can't get a conventional bio-wheel (the hang-on style ones) as my tank is completely covered.

Does anyone know of any that I could use? Or if you're feeling really generous, do you have any specific recommendations of makes/models?

10. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

11. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Thanks for your reply. Is there anything a sponge filter does that my U3 or a bio-wheel doesn't?

12. OP
    OP
    Aphelion0

Interesting. I've just been doing some research on these - they look super good!

I'll definitely consider this when making my upgrade. Thank you so much.

13. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Welcome

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice