bio wheel filter for 20 gall

hssea
I'm getting things together for my 20 gall. I ordered a penguin bio wheel 200 (states for up to 50 gal). Now I'm thinking that I should have a filter with 2 wheels/cartridges. I have a "double" filter on my 26 gall. Is it worth it to return it and upgrade?

SereneReyn
I would want as much filter as possible... the more room you have for bacteria, the easier it can handle your bio-load. i'd return it if I had any intention of having the tank set up long-term.

hssea
yeap that is what I was thinking. actually that's what I wanted all along. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered online. I have a friend going downstate maybe see can return it to petsmart for an upgrade, I actually bought it through aquariumguy. sure wish we had pet stores up here.

Gargoyle
yeap that is what I was thinking. actually that's what I wanted all along. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered online. I have a friend going downstate maybe see can return it to petsmart for an upgrade, I actually bought it through aquariumguy. sure wish we had pet stores up here.

Oh man no pet stores up there?? That aint right at all.. I live in GR. We have a couple good ones here but I still order "specialty" stuff online due to the selection of equipment down here.

If I can ever help source you some stuff let me know. I make occasional trips to Traverse if that helps any.

hssea
gargoyle thanks. I just called petsmart, they do carry the penguin bio wheel 200 I ordered from aquariumguy, so my friend can take it down there to upgrade. The store employee did advise me that see wouldn't up grade because it would be two powerfull, I just don't think it would . What do you all think? they carry the biowheel 350 (for up to 70 gall) and the biowheel 400 (don't remember to what that's up to), both of which has two wheels, versus the 200 that I just got (up to 50 gall)with one wheel.

Gargoyle
Okay rule number one about fish keeping...

2 things get to big......

1) Fish in small tanks
2) Heaters

The filters being to big is crazy talk. Most have adjustments to slow them down if to much current is produced. I currently have a filter for a 100 gallon tank on a 55. So I say get the bigger filter...

30yrfishguy
sorry I missed this post, after 33 yrs in this hobby I personnally think the biowheel filters are very miss leading. first off all depending on the wheel only for biological filtration is a major misstake, yes they on occasion stop spinning. if you are not watching or checking everyday you may find an entire tank wiped out. stay far away from these type of filters if you have a planted tank as they will partially clog quite quickly. the wheel depends on water flow for rotation if the flow becomes to slow, wheel will not turn. 2nd..the mechanical filter cartridge will not even last 3 weeks before needing replacement. the most versitile power filter ive used, visa vI neww style would have to be the whisper series. you get flexability of media and dependability

Narcicius
That's good to know I have been wanting a bio wheel for a while now, I guess I'm better off where I'm at.

COBettaCouple
The Biowheel filters that we have have blue bonded filter pads cut to fit in them along a massive amount of filter sponges. If the wheel did stop, the substrate, sponges and filter pad would cover things. I haven't had them stop on us yet - even in the wild betta tank that's filled with java moss.

a&j's_tank
mine stops and goes all the time, its prob because your filter is cloged up

I have a bio-wheel 200 on my 55 and its a great filter

I also have a bio wheel for my 20...both great filters

hssea
mine slurps, its new so I hope it quites down when it stops spinning so much

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies