Bio Spira?

1. kelsangdol Member Member

Hi!
    I am going to do a fishless tank cycling and I have some questions about Bio Spira. :;dk

1. Do I just add the Bio Spira in alone when I'm done setting up the tank w/ conditioned water?

2. Do I need to add anything else with Bio Spira?

2. Does the water need to be at a special temperature?

3.When Ammonia and Nitrite are down, then do I add fish?

4. Has it worked for you? And if so, where did you buy it from?

5. If the Bio Spira has made the ammonia and nitrite really low, is it safe to put fish in?

6. How do I store Bio Spira?

Hehe, sorry for all the questions... >_<

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    bio spira is no longer made...its now called tetra safestart..unless your using it for a salt water tank ....if you have some bio spira for fresh water, id throw it out..its too old

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore. I agree with Shawnie, Biospira is for saltwater tanks. Does the bottle you have say that?

Your 55 with goldies sounds awesome. :) How many goldies do you plan on having? Any particular variety?

4. kelsangdol Member Member

I haven't bought them yet but I want 5 fancy goldfish.
    I'm buying 1 fantail, 1 black moor, 1 red cap oranda, 1 veiltail, and the other might be another fantail or pearlscale. : ;juggle

Ahhh, now I start over for the search... :;fru
    I've been googling bio spira this whole day.......... Good thing I hadn't tried to buy the oldies.. haha :-\

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

6. kelsangdol Member Member

Thank You! =DDDDDDD

7. kelsangdol Member Member

One laaaaaaaaaaaast question...hehe
    Have guys started the Tetra Safestart?
    And do you guys know the dosage?

8. thorpbrian Member Member

I've used Tetra Safe Start to cycle all my tanks WITH FISH. Just in case you haven't read Shawnie's link or didn't already know, Tetra Safe Start is meant to be used to cycle your tank with fish in the tank. This is the only known way that is will work correctly to cycle your tank in a week to 10 days.

It's pretty simple really. Buy a bottle big enough for your tank. Add THE WHOLE BOTTLE, even if it's meant to dose a tank larger than yours. Add your fish (if you plan on stocking 5 fancies in a 55 gal, I'd add 3 with the TSS and then the other two over the next couple months). Let the tank sit for a week with no water changes or testing. Test the water after a week and you should be at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5+nitrates. If not, wait three more days and test again.

TSS has a VERY HIGH success rate when used correctly.

After 10 days I'd to a 50% water change and then precede to normal maintenance precedures.

As far was where I bought mine. I looked around at my LFS's until I found one that stocked it. You can also buy it online at various sites. Be sure that the bottle has a expiration date on it and that date hasn't passed.

9. kelsangdol Member Member

Wow..you all are so helpful and nice! :;balloons
    I will order one now............ :)

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd go with a bottle that is too big for the tank... I use the bottle for 70 gallons for my 30g tank

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

with the goldies as a plan, id get the 75g bottle as well as the 30g bottle if you are going to get all the goldies at the same time :) good luck!