Bio-spira

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just over a week that i put bio-spira in my tank. My ammonia is between 0.25 and 0 and my nitrite is 2.0 has been like this for about 4 days. Seems like it is never going to get cycled. I thought bio-spira was suppose to help it cycle pretty fast. Tank has been going for about a month. I did a 25% water change on the sixth day that i had bio-spira in my tank. I did not want to do water change right away to give bacteria time to set up in tank.When i first got my tank i listened to the LFS people and they said i was ok on putting some fish in a tank after having it going for 4 days. I was stupid and did not read up on taking care of fish and knew nothing about the cycle you had to go through and I put 2 black mollies and 2 ottos in tank. All fish are doing well and no signs of any diseases yet all eating just fine as well. I dont want to make the fish suffer in anyway just want to do the right thing i love my fishes got such good little personalities. Just wondering what else i can do. Just sit back and wait and let the tank do its thing? Thanks for all the comments you guys rock.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You say your tank has been running for a month. Did you add fish right away? What were your readings before adding the bio spira? Did you do a massive water change before adding the bio spira? How reputable is your lfs? Do you know if the bio spira was kept refrigerated before you bought it? All these things can be factors on how well your bio spira will work in your tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BioSpira is also designed to put the fish is right after the Biospira. If there was an ammonia reading before you added it, it may take a bit to catch up.
Carol

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Added fish on the fourth day it was running. Ammonia was 0 and nitrite was 0.25 with ph of 7.7. No water change was done when adding the bio-spira did a water change 6 days after adding bio-spira. Bio-spira was cold when i recieved it in the mail. Was wrapped in foil with a gel cold pack on the inside.

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking that maybe the bacteria is not getting enough to eat maybe i need to add more fish? Not sure. thanks

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No it will need to have a few days to settle in and you will have an ammonia spike when it settles in. Then a nitrite spike and then it will settle down. It takes about a week. Then you can do a water change and you are set to go with more fish.

Rose

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks i will do that

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom