Bio Media Laying On Substrate

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I eventually want to setup an african clawed frog enclosure. I'm currently cycling a 20 long, I was wondering if I could place a biomax filter inside a pouch in the tank to let that media cycle so when I'm ready for the next 20 long for the african clawed I can just put that media in the filter and it'll be cycled... I was just gonna stick the media on the substrate in a corner some place..

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
reptilepaul93 said:
Hi, I eventually want to setup an african clawed frog enclosure. I'm currently cycling a 20 long, I was wondering if I could place a biomax filter inside a pouch in the tank to let that media cycle so when I'm ready for the next 20 long for the african clawed I can just put that media in the filter and it'll be cycled... I was just gonna stick the media on the substrate in a corner some place..
Filter media with water passing catches debris as well as the liquid wastes passing through it to cause the bacteria to multiply rapidly against the filter fibers. Just laying filfer media in the tank won't cycle for a new tank. When you do a water change on your existing tank, you could add some of that old water to the new tank because there are free floating bacteria in the cycled tank. That will seed your tank with the bacteria you need to grow in the filter, but not enough to instantly cycle the tank. You still going to have to go through the time consuming process of cycling the new tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom