Bio Media Comparison Information

goldfishbeginner
Biohome has to be way better than matrix or ceramic rings in terms of surface area. It's completely porus. The water can flow right through it similar to a sponge.

But, if foams have such better surface area than why do people even use rock type media? What is the point of it if foams are just better surface area regardless? Is the rock type media really not worth it?

kcopper
Biohome has to be way better than matrix or ceramic rings in terms of surface area. It's completely porus. The water can flow right through it similar to a sponge.

But, if foams have such better surface area than why do people even use rock type media? What is the point of it if foams are just better surface area regardless? Is the rock type media really not worth it?
If we stuffed our filters with foam from top to bottom, there would be too much resistance. Hard bio media leaves large and relatively uncloggable flow paths. Anything with a surface is bio media. I don’t think the specialized rock is worth it or really any different at all from a Home Depot lava rock.

PS Fluval sells foam as a bio media for their filters.

Cody

I look at it this way, and mind you I’m just a guy But, this is how I reason make sense if the “sponge movement”

I don’t think there is a debate on if there materials, whether a natural stone or manufactured bio media will house the BB. You could cube up chunks of driftwood in a filter canister and I guarantee it would be somewhat effective. If you have a porous material it will house BB, no question.

the thought is getting water to flow THROUGH the material. Water will always take the path of least resistance. So take something like bio home. It’s pours and water can flow through it to some degree but in general the path of least resistance is around it, not through it.

Now if you compare Bio home to a 20 ppI sponge I’m sure the BH has more ppI on a microscopic level but is it usable? Where the 20ppI sponge when proper cut and stuffed into your filter of choice creates a path the the water has to flow through. Or it will plug up to the point that the flow is next to nothing, telling you the only way is THROUGH the media.

I think the best way to test this would to take a hose of some sort and have a piece of sponge cut perfectly to fill the end, and do the same with some BH or something similar. You should see much greater flow though the test with the sponge.

So in summary I don’t think this is knocking all the various forms of bio media. As what I said before anything porous has great ability to harbor the BB but, what’s going to give you the greatest USABLE surface area to force water to flow through.

I’m not a sciencist or an expert, just a guy from Wisconsin and that is how I see it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
Redviper
Replies
Views
CaelB
Replies
Views