bio filter for 10 gal?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For those of you who don't know who I am, I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 cories, 1 oto, 1 HUGE bamboo shrimp, 1 bristlenose pleco and one ghost shrimp, and betta in there. I was wondering if you a Bio-wheel would be adventageous to my tank. It is planted and I do have an air stone. Wouldn't the extra oxygenated water help everyone out in the tank? I mean I know that plants take in CO2, but in theory couldn't I also support a higher bio load, with it? Just thinking, in case I get another few fish or some sort for some reason or another lol. anyway people keep telling me that they are amazed at the bio load I have, a friend of mine who has been keep fish, probably longer than I've been alive, said that it is still a pretty small load what do you guys think of the bio load? wow a bit more that I had thought i'd put into this ****

~Inari

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry Inari but your tank is full and will be more than full when the bristlenose gets grown. A bio-wheel might help better support the bioload you have now but it won't allow you to add more fish. Right now you have in adult size (remember when stocking a tank to figure adult sizes)
3 speckled corys = 6 inches
2 pandas corys = 4 inches
1 albino bristlenose=5-6 inches
1 oto =2 inches
1 betta = 3 inches
Total adult inches =20 inches of fish
The shrimp don't add enough of a bioload to even count unless their are an awfully lot of them.
The bristlenose is a real poop machine. The tank sounds really pretty but I wouldn't add anything more to it.
The bristlenose is a good excuse to get another tank and give his other bottom dwelling friends more room( you know any excuse to get another tank )
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was told that the current size i have in my tank is about right, i wish i could get a 20 or 30 gallon but MSU would kinda frown on it and its would be a *********** pain to move around. so once i get settled down somewhere i'll probably get a mosnterously huge tank that i can stock well, I saw one that i like at petsmart with a stand for about 900 usd a bit much for a college student now isn't it

also back on subject, where can i find a 10 gallon bio-wheel??

~Inari

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on what kind of filter you have if you want to add one. I believe whisper makes filters for 10 gallon tanks with a bio-wheel.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Really?!??! I have a whisper waterfall filter and i hate it i don't feel that it gives me the amount of oxygen i would like. I'm wondering if anyone knows where i can get one....

thanx

~inari

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just doing some fast searches and found this, but the smallest is for a twenty gallon.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I saw one at wal-mart or petsmart they are in the same area so i can't remeber....however petco doesn't have stuff like that...so I will probably check them out when i get some cash thanx

~inari

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you mean like a penguin bio-wheel filter, they are very good and I love mine, if that's what you mean most petstores have them for 20-25$ for 100gph one's and I can tell you how to make easy filters for them too?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
is that for a 10 gallon?? And easy and cheap filters sweetness i'll bite onto this hook

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya penguin bio-wheel 100. Gives you 100 gph with three stage filteration though I only use two. The bio wheel works amazingly for cleaning your water. I have never had cloudy or yucky looking water. By me it's 25$ at regular store though you could get it at a farther away for 20$ and cheaper on sale. All I use is filter fiber and stuff some in the back of my area where you put filters and it takes out so much junk and it's really cheap.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm looking around my area right now. I thought I saw one at Wal-Mart, I still need to look there to double check lol anyway thanx

~Inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom