bio-balls v.s kitchen skrubbies Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by scotty b, Nov 29, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i fell like the scrubbies have more space for bb then bio balls would they be more effective ? worse? same?
    any impute thanks

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I can't really say that one is any better than the other. I have seen posts in the past where some folks have used the scrubbies. Make sure they do not contain soap! :)

Ken

3. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

I agree with scotty b. More surface area especially when compressed. Sandwich them in between egg crates then weigh it down. But I've also seen bio balls that have special media inside of them.

4. OP
    OP
    scotty b

im thinking i may switch to scrubbies perhaps ill replace half then float the replaced half in the sump then replace all and sell the the bio balls would that work?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Why are you wanting to change your media? Are you having cycling issues? Sometimes, it's best to leave well enough alone. Something to think about. :)

I have blue bio balls in my wet/dry (265g tank) that are 15 years old.

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    scotty b

the tank is well and cycled but i have half blue bio ball and half weird clear bio ball like thing that looks like it has zero surface area

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think it's a big deal either way. Bioballs are made intentionally to have a vast surface area, so to me they'd be better equipped than pot scrubbers. However pot scrubbers are good as well, and they also make good large particle mechanical filtration media.

Another good option is ceramic noodles, filter carbon, or seachem matrix.

I agree with Ken though, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice