Bio Ball Question

NaturalGothic

Reaction score
Hey guys! What should I do with bio balls who have been sitting in stagnant tank water? After doing a water change, I forgot they were still in a bucket and they’ve been sitting for a few days. ‘Out of sight; out of mind’ as they say. I want to wash them in hot water but I’m not sure if I should.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would put them in some tank water and mix them around to get the water flowing through them and stuff. Maybe add some warm water but nothing really hot. I wouldn't put them in hot water because I would be worried about killing the bacteria. Were they outside or inside while they were in the bucket?

OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

Reaction score
Danny002 said:
I would put them in some tank water and mix them around to get the water flowing through them and stuff. Maybe add some warm water but nothing really hot. I wouldn't put them in hot water because I would be worried about killing the bacteria. Were they outside or inside while they were in the bucket?
Inside with the old broken filter on top of them.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swish them around and put them back in. I mean, its a few days, no big deal. No need to "wash" them in hot water.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NaturalGothic said:
Okay, then there shouldn't be too many problems. Most, if not all of the BB will be fine if it was only a few days. Like I said before I would just rinse them in tank water and that should be fine.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you still want to use them? I don't see any problem sticking them back in the filter...

No bacteria should have died if they were kept wet. BB is aerobic so it uses oxygen, but I don't think it would have used enough oxygen to deplete the water of it and kill all the bacteria.

If you don't need them, go ahead and wash them and put them away.

If you're asking because you're worried about them being contaminated from being in stagnant water. I don't think they will. There's a big difference between clean tank water indoors and stagnant pond water with pond scum, tons of mosquitoes, algae and fungus.

OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

Reaction score
NaturalGothic said:
DuaneV said:
Swish them around and put them back in. I mean, its a few days, no big deal. No need to "wash" them in hot water.
Danny002 said:
Okay, then there shouldn't be too many problems. Most, if not all of the BB will be fine if it was only a few days. Like I said before I would just rinse them in tank water and that should be fine.
ystrout said:
Do you still want to use them? I don't see any problem sticking them back in the filter...

No bacteria should have died if they were kept wet. BB is aerobic so it uses oxygen, but I don't think it would have used enough oxygen to deplete the water of it and kill all the bacteria.

If you don't need them, go ahead and wash them and put them away.

If you're asking because you're worried about them being contaminated from being in stagnant water. I don't think they will. There's a big difference between clean tank water indoors and stagnant pond water with pond scum, tons of mosquitoes, algae and fungus.
I did a 50% water change Saturday so they haven’t been sitting too long I just wasn’t sure if I should be worried about mold or something.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NaturalGothic said:
I did a 50% water change Saturday so they haven’t been sitting too long I just wasn’t sure if I should be worried about mold or something.
Oh I see. Ya I wouldn't worry about that at all.

You can rinse them in tank water if you want, but it shouldn't matter. Plus, you'd see mold if there was any.

New Threads