BIggest fish for ten gallon?

1. lukester Initiate Member

Which fish can I keep 1-2 of and It will work in a 10 gallon freshwater?

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

3. echi1 Well Known Member Member

4. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

5. lukester Initiate Member

I changed my mind. I have 3 male guppies in my 10. Can I add 6 females?

6. Fishboy123 Member Member

You should be able to add 6 females with a ratio of 2 females to each male

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. lukester Initiate Member

will it be overstocked?

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

do you want to know the biggest individual fish or the biggest amount of fish?

9. lukester Initiate Member

I want to know if I can add 6 female guppies to my tank with 3 males.

10. lukester Initiate Member

Will it work?

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I would not put in any female guppies at all as you would be looking at hundreds of new fry every four weeks. If you have any boys in there who are unhappy about the situation, it would be easier to remove the most aggressive one.

12. lukester Initiate Member

Wont the guppies eat their own fry? The tank is very lightly planted.

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They will eat some but given you'll have over a hundred fry every 4-5 weeks then you're going to have survivors & be overstocked,
    I'd just stick to having males

14. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

They may or may not eat their fry. There are some strains who will not eat any at all, but even if yours are very cannibalistic, if any female fry survive, they, too, will produce more and more babies after two months. If you do get females, keep in mind that you may need to rehome extra fry, feed them to other fish, or put them down to avoid overcrowding and disease.

15. lukester Initiate Member

My males always agress towards each other so what do I do?

16. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    How long have you had the tank setup? If it was just setup they might establish a pecking order with an alpha male. I recommend not getting any females unless you have people willing to take the fry. Here are some things if you consider getting females for your tanks:
    1. A grow out tank. (They will need a grow out tank for them to get their full potential and you may need two, one for each gender)
    2. A new home for the fry. Having to many causes a lot of problems with your tank.
    3. Do any of your guppies have disabilities? These will produce unwanted fry.
    4. Are your guppies pretty? Don't want to be mean, but some bad colored guppies are at the store here
    5. Do you have the time to do water changes and clean the muck off the bottom of the tanks?
    6. Do you have enough money to get two extra tanks as grow outs, with filtration (and aeration if needed)?
    Also keep the space in mind. If your able to do everything needed, then go for it! Maybe you can setup a guppy store or supply your local pet stores. I may not have everything you need to consider on this list. Please correct me if I'm wrong with anything! Good luck!

17. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What exactly do you mean by aggressive behavior? Face offs can be ok, so long as they find a balance, and no one is particularly harassed.

18. Tropicalfishlover18 Initiate Member

I agree with renthus, betta or a dwarf gourami is a popular choice for a tank that size

19. JeffK Well Known Member Member

You could easily do 2-3 peacock gudgeons! (And you could still have a few male guppies)

20. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Honey Gourami. They are smaller and very peaceful. They get along with everyone.