bigger tank...

1. rob2uk Member Member

Me again!

Just a quick question - If I buy a bigger tank and use the substrate, filter and water (topped up with RO) from my current tank, will it be safe to put my fish pretty much straight in or will I still need to cycle the tank?

Half of me thinks that because everything from the old tank is being used that it'll be pretty much the same as doing a large water change, but the other half of me is worried that disturbing the substrate is gonna cause problems.

Also, if I take the cycling route, is it worth filling the new tank with water that I've removed from the old one during water changes?

2. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hey Rob!
    I think it would be a good idea to use the same water but dont dump it all in at once and dont put the fish in immediately. Let the water settle and cycle for a few days at least.You can use "Aquasafe" and also stress coat to make the fish more comfortable when you put them in. Will you have a new filter and heater in there or are you gonna use the same ones?

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Transfer as much over as you can to the new tank, and you should be fine if the tank you are moving stuff from is cycled. That is generally the way folks do it. I wouldn't add any new fish to the new tank in the beginning until you are sure you are not gonna have a mini cycle.

4. rob2uk Member Member

I'll be using pretty much everything from the old tank, either that or I'll take one of the foam pads from the old filter and put it in the new one

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats pretty much how you want to do it Rob, move as much as you can from the old tank.. But you do want to put your fish in right away. Just not any new ones. If you go too long with no fish in there the bacteria will die. Hope that helps.
    Carol

6. rob2uk Member Member

I'm gonna have to move them across pretty much straight away anyway, unless I find a way to get the nitrite and ammonia levels in my current tank to stay down

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

id love a bigger tank sum day maybe when i get my own place but i really want a dog!!

C W ;D

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

I'm trying to get a bigger one in my room, have to nag my parents to let me for a long time before they'll even considerate.