Bigger Sized Fish For A 20 Gallon?

1. l

lschneid Valued Member Member

Hello. I have a 20 gallon high. Currently I have 3 platys, 2 guppies, and a dwarf gourami. I am looking to add another fish or two, preferably ones that are a little bigger than a guppy or platy. Any suggestions? The gourami doesn't seem to be too aggressive with the platys or guppies. I have two filters so there is plenty of filtration.

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

There is nothing bigger to go in that tank.
    I don't even think the Platys should be in there, just not enough swimming room. But it's a personal opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    l

Really? Boo. I was hoping to get something a little bigger. The platys and guppies are so small, you can barely see them. I have had them since November, I guess they are doing ok though. Thanks!

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Your stock is fine. I think James may be confusing your tank with something smaller. You could add a dwarf cichlid like a Bolivian ram or nannacara anomala/golden dwarf cichlid! Any interest in schooling fish?

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

No, I'm not confused, I have a 20 High sitting eight feet from my desk, but it is just my opinion.

6. OP
    OP
    l

Thank you! I really like the dwarf cichlids. May look into that! I do like the schooling fish, just not sure what to go with.

7. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I've got cherry barbs in my tank as the schooling fish. They're a bit bigger and come in albino and normal and they have longfinned and shortfinned versions. Also they tend not to always be schooling, so it makes the tank look fuller in my opinion.

In my tank I have:

1 female betta (centerpiece)
    6 cherry barbs
    1 platy
    3 guppies
    1 mosquitofish

8. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Bolivian Rams.

9. OP
    OP
    l

Would the Bolivian Rams get along with the dwarf gourami?

10. Jayd976

Jayd976 Well Known Member Member

I agree with James. I had a 20H and I think personally the foot print is too small for the rams to thrive it would just be surviving in a cramped space.