Big Tank Stock idea - POV's?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jamie Boshier, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Jamie Boshier

Jamie BoshierValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have posted about this tank a number of times now and keep changing my mind as to what I want in there...
    The tank will be 6x2x2.5(270G) and I have a massive filtration plan and you will see why when I tell you the fish in which I plan to stock! Also the 2.5ft - would it be more beneficial as the depth or the height?
    Here goes...

1 Tiger Oscar
    1 Jack Dempsey
    1 Flag Tail
    1 Green Terror
    1 pleco = ideas please - a beast

And considering 4-5 clown loaches. But not 100%... May leave the room incase I want to purchase anything along the way. - I would like a fish which will help with the cleaning too.

I would love some advise on any other fish you'd stock and also advise on substrate, decor, and diet!

Please feel free to suggest any thing, I'm a little way off getting this tank so I'm just wanting as much information as possible so I get it right first time!

Loads of questions I'm sorry!
    Now just need your brains. Thanks a bunch.

Jamie.

2. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly considering a arowana too... Which one?

3. ej19

ej19New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I hope you leave room for the clown loaches! My lfs has a show tank with several 6"+ in it. I stand in front of that thing every time I go in there.

4. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    A silver Arowana needs larger than a 270 g as an adult. I believe some Jardini species stay a bit smaller. A common pleco could actually grow in that tank - may still outgrow it though.

5. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Ej! Haha I love them too! Just not sure whether I have room... I have a while to think.
    I've never seen bigger sized clowns with my own eyes.

6. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah there's an arowana that gets around 2ft which I'd want if I decide too.
    The silvers want fit and I'm aware of that.
    The reds get to about 2 ft I believe

7. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  8. ej19

ej19New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I would venture a guess at 8-12jammed into a 200/250g (hard to tell). They do look a little snug but it's such a cool tank. I'll try and remember to take a picture when I go in again haha. Good on you for thinking big! I'd be having nightmares of that dr. Seuss book about the goldfish that got too big for a swimming pool...... Lol

9. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The clown loaches would be fine. You could also look at silver dollars. Red hook silver dollars are very cool.

That tank isn't big enough for any arowana that is legal in the United States. A sliver, black or African will out grow it. And a Jardini may fit, but would probably kill everything else in there. Asian aros would fit too, but are illegal to keep in the US.

The flag tail will keep the tank algae free and grow pretty big. You really won't need anything else as far as a clean up crew.

10. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Marie, always offer sound advise!
    I'm in the Uk. Are they legal here?

11. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,995
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, unfortunately you can keep silver arowanas here but your tank won't be big enough for one

12. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Marie said aisan arowana... Is that a silver then? Or same as?

13. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No they aren't the same. I was trying to find the regulations as they are endangered, but could only find U.S. regs.

14. Coradee

Ratings:
    +3,995
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Silvers mostly come from South America there's article on the asian here

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  15. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Silvers and blacks both come from South America. African come from, you guessed it, Africa. Jardini are from Australia. Asians are from several different rivers in Southeast Asia.

But anyway... I think the cichlids you mentioned will all be fine. Clown loaches would fit in there very nicely along with the flagtail which will be the biggest fish in the tank. The pleco would also be fine

If silver dollars aren't something you're interested in, I would look for some other large schooling fish. Even with the Oscar, some of the bigger tetra would probably work.

I would just forget about an aro unless you get an 8' tank. I'm not sure if Asian are legal in the UK or not. But if they are, it would cost you an arm and a leg, and your tank would be about the minimum size to keep one in.

If you don't get the loaches , or even if you do, there are a lot of catfish you could keep. You may want to look into some. Lots to choose from.

16. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Royal pleco a good addition?
    Anyone have a favourite catfish. I saw a lovely one at the lfs yesterday but the name has completely slipped my mind! Gets to around 35cm too!
    Getting very excited! Need to calm myself as I have a long wait.
    I will forget the arowana, maybe one day aye!
    Marie thanks a lot your help and advise is always fantastic!

17. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Ratings:
    +0
    Probably due to the amount of questions I asked! But one was over looked a bit, just wanted someone's opinion on whether the extra 0.5 ft would be more beneficial on the depth of the tank (front to back) or the height?

Also everyone will be please I made my mind up! Final stock list excluding a catfish(s) which I'd love suggestions please.

So!

Tiger oscar x1
    Jack Dempsey x1
    Flag tail x1
    Green Terror x1
    Clown Loach x5
    Plec - thinking Royal/common/salfin -suggestions welcomed!
    And then I'm just after a few suggestions for a catfish/catfishes!

Thanks!

18. Coradee

Ratings:
    +3,995
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    IMO depth is better over height particularly if you're thinking of large plecas & the other fish on your list would appreciate the extra turning space