Big Tank Purchasing Decision Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kayla20johnson, Jun 14, 2018.

1. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnsonValued MemberMember

So, I recently came across a 55 gallon long, and a 75 gallon long. Both used, great price, but they only come with the tank and the stand.

I currently have a 55 gallon high.

I need opinions please and thank you!

2. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

The longs are good for smaller fish unless you have fish that use the entire water column. My Goldie’s don’t like The longs because it limits their swimming. My tropicals are fine in one.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Get em both if you can use them. I prefer long to high, high can be a pain planted.

4. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

kayla20johnsonValued MemberMember

I would LOVE to get them both, but unfortunately I think having 2 fish tanks would be quite overwhelming for me. I’m still getting into the groove of things, but I feel I am doing very well thus far.

My main concern is if I end up with the 75, what all will I have to get that I don’t already have?

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

Keep one in storage until you're ready for it.

6. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I have a shed in the backyard just to store my tanks. You can never have too many. I have 5 up and running right now plus a pond. It does all have to do with how much you can handle though. I couldn’t do this back when I had kids at home.

7. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

The bigger the tank, the more things you have to buy. You would have to get 1-2 canister filters, more substrate, if you don’t chose to go bare bottom, Bigger decorations(save money by using outdoor rocks.), better lights(if you want to plant it.) more fish=more money.

8. Esli

EsliValued MemberMember

Get the long!! I have a bowfront & its obviously taller, i feel like it limits my fish swimming space. I got them a 125 which I know they will love since my fish are small. But definitely long.
    Unless you have fish that prefer height.

9. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

If you keep your current stocking you should be able to just move everything from your 55 to either tank. Then when money allows add another filter or upgrade your filter so you can increase your stocking. You could even rig your current light to work for now. I would go with the 75 over the 55.

10. Fishkeeping With Andy

Fishkeeping With AndyValued MemberMember

I'd prefer the 75. I am also getting one soon though, so I might be biased.

11. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECOValued MemberMember

Believe it or not having multiple tanks isn’t overwhelming only annoying part is water changes but once you do it a lot its like 2nd nature

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice