Big Tank Outside With No Filter?

Meghanfloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I've got permission to put a large tank outside for the summer (anywhere upwards of 75gal... just depends on what I can find. Hopefully it'll be 150gal at the least though)
I plan to move my guppy pair out there and let them breed like crazy for the summer in a large tank, then give them all away at the end of summer, since I don't have room inside for more guppies and my 16gal right now seems just insufficient for them. They're so active and overpopulate so quickly. heavily planted with water lettuce, anarcharis, all that good stuff. I have a fishkeeping mentor who keeps his fish all unfiltered and they very much enjoy all the mosquito larvae and such. Is this a good idea? I would still do water changes as normal of course.

My parents want to keep it lower budget, lower maitenance. This is why they appeal to the idea of no filter (even though I am the one doingall the maitenance).

Leave your thoughts please

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Load it up with plants and you could probably do it. Many people in my area raise guppies in tubs and massive pots without any equipment to help besides with rain, sunshine, and a massive amount of plants. Floating plants are usually the best to soak up nutrients in the water.

Meghanfloof

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Load it up with plants and you could probably do it. Many people in my area raise guppies in tubs and massive pots without any equipment to help besides with rain, sunshine, and a massive amount of plants. Floating plants are usually the best to soak up nutrients in the water.
Got it. Thanks so much for the help! I have a thing for loading my tanks with plants anyways lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom