Big project ahead, need advice

1. Matt251 Member Member

I got a 55g tank that's has been sitting for a couple years and I want to clean it up and get it running. My brother had oscars in it for years and when they passed he never cleaned it out really, he just drained it. It's been outside under a carport for 2 years and has everything still in it pretty much. I've taking some ordainments out and just scrubbed and rinsed alot with just hot water and had no problems. But I want to know if there is anything I can use that is fish friendly that will clean better than just water.

I have to act kinda fast because I have 2 angels with a betta that are starting to get into it during feeding time. Also I have a sailfin pleco who is about 4 inches now and needs more room and give my betta his own tank, cause he really is tank boss even though he is smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Bleach is the one thing you can use liberally as long as in the end you rinse it with water with dechlorinator because that totally neutralizes the bleach without leaving any residue.

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

+1 to using bleach. Just be sure to use regular bleach, not the lavender scented stuff etc. Rinse well and use a triple dose of dechlorinator like prime and you are good to go.

4. garikapc Member Member

Anything you use I would further second the rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. IMO, that often makes a bigger impact than what cleaner you necessarily use. Good luck and have fun!

5. Matt251 Member Member

Thanks everyone! I'll use bleach then and I'll be sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more then rinse again and again. I'm alil over protective of my fish, haha, so the rinsing might be overly extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum