BIG PROBLEM

Skyline

Reaction score
Big Problem

Hey I'm new here and I have been reading and reading tons about fish and all that other stuff and how to take care of them but I am Baffled by something that has been happening to my new 175 gallon tank.

Ok..so heres the story..sorry if its long..its really really long...sorryy

I used to have an old 55 gallon tank that I bought from someone who had tons of fish including butterfly koi..like 20 or so goldfish...2 iridescent sharks..and some other exotic fish it was beautiful. The only problem was that it was really dirty. The man kept sand in their as an alternative to gravel..he put rocks in their from who knows were they looked like huge pond rocks and the water was yellowish in color. It looks like he never used a gravel cleaner in his life and also he buys fish online and he seemed like an expert on fish...which he wasn't cause he told me a lot of lies...Now the man gave me a good deal..all this for 400$...so I was ecstatic to buy it from him. I was not so happy about the tank not because it was old and not cleaned but I fell in love with the beautiful fish he had. Okay..so the man brought it to my house and that was when I got started on my fish journey. Everything went fine..Though because their were sooooo many fish I had to feed them a lot the man said to me. So I fed them quite a lot of food...in fact tooo much food. ( not a good decision but it was my first tank and this man seemed really smart..after all his fish were huge adult goldfish which were like 5-6 inches in length which could have easily been mistake for koi) So anyway..one day when I had cleaned the tank ( after buying a gravel cleaner ) and removed the sand and all the dirtyness of the water I put in new gravel and new decor. So...The water did have cloudiness for a day but then went back to normal...ok so the next couple of days go perfect and then I notice that the water starts to get a bit dirty. It appears to be as if their are brown bacteria or dots appearing behind on the tank of my 55 gal so I leave it their and then a couple of weeks later it grows tremendously all over the back of the tank. It looks disgusting its a smelly brown yuck that sticks to the back of the tank. So then... a couple of weeks later same thing happens...I clean and clean and then it starts to get all over the decor. Then I get another filter to help clean...and then the worst part happens the filters get clogged with the sticky brown substance that really smells rotten and I clean and clean but every week it comes back and back. So I try everything from water changes to scrubbing not nothing helps. So..me and my mom decided to buy a new 175 gallon tank. It was 1000$ and we also bought a whisper filter..and some new gravel and something called BioSPIRA which the man at the LFS said was very important if we wanted to move all our fish to our new tank. Also this man probally was one of the most helpful people I have ever met..he told everything I wanted to know..great resource..Ok...so as soon as I get home incredibly happy with all my stuff I set up the new tank..with the new light..everything looks beautiful...then I put the BipSPira and all of it to make sure the tanks gets cycled..so then I grab all my fish and put em in. Their is no bacteria or algae or whatever it is and that was worth all the money I had spent. So we don't put anything from the old tank including the gravel which was a key mistake into the new tank to risk a new infection...so then I wait at least a week and then I do a complete clean on my tank and I'm soo used to this because of my old tank that needed so much cleaning every week but in fact this tank was different. It was my first key mistake..a couple days later the water started to get cloudy...and I thought ohh it will just go away soon..new tank syndrome that's what it is it will clear up by itself. But I was wrong...The water turned worse and the started to have a green tint. I was incredibly disappointed with the Bio SPIRA and how it did not cycle the tank but in fact later when I found this website and did some research it was my fault the water turned cloudy because if u disturb the tank too much by doing a complete cleanup of filter media..water..gravel its really bad..so anyway...I cleaned the tank about 50% and then the waters still was green and cloudy. So I put to the fishstore and bought some algae medicine which was one of the worst things I could have done. I went home with a python gravel cleaner..and some algae medicne really happy...put about 50 ml of the stuff(worst mistake I have ever made in my life)...covered the fish tank and then went to sleep. I awoke to my mom saying most of the fish are dead...I could not believe what I was hearing I immediately woke up and ran to see...in fact half of my fish were dead...I felt so bad..my 2 catfish looked petrified...I had a ton of goldfish losing scales...and the worst part was that most of the fish appeared to be blind. They were not responding to food or anything. I said what did I do wrong and then I looked at the back of the algae cleaner and it said..10 ml per 50 gallons and I was shocked..I had always uses 10ml for every 10 gallons and then it hit me..just for not reading the label of this cleaner...instead of helping my fish I had killed them..the water was very clear but I felt soo bad..and stupid its a life lesson I will never forget and I warn each and every one of you to read the label of something..anything not just fish stuff because it can lead to over dosage and death...so now the remaining fish were blind and scaling..like peeling and they were motionless just huddled up in a corner..my butterfly koI was still alive and so were my two sharks which I was veryy happy but the fish didn't seem to happy. I did an immediate water change...90% of water..and then waited. One by one all my fish died..even my koI =[ it was the worst day of my life...the only fish who survived were my two sharks...my two survivors. and 5 goldfish...I felt horrible like a killer...and after all I had been through..all that hard work....all the cleaning...all the money I had spent which easily exceeds 1000$...and then I had a little bit of hope left to continue with my fish...so I cleaned them up and then was left with a very very empty tank..with only few fish... :'(

Ok..now here comes a problem I have now...After a couple days passed...the white water came back accompanied by its friend Mr. algae..I was really mad. I had just killed my fish with medicine and now the problem I had comes back...so I then put in the RIGHT amount of dosage of algae medicine and then my fish get sick again 2 die (goldfish and I realize that the medicine effects them deeply so I discontinue use. I then take ur guys advice and do a blackout. 3-4 days...and then I clean but when I do the white water comes back and then I clean it comes back..then algea...ughhh I'm in desperate need of help. These last 3 years have been all bad experiences with fish...why do I have these problems...and how do I fix this white water and green algae...I need some hope or else my mom says shes gonna sell the fish tank and I'm gonna be left with nothing I need someones help..every site I go can't help me so I need some input from u guys

Again sorry for the long story half the time it seems like I'm just going on and on but I really need you guys to see why I need so much help. I can't understand..first the brown algae or bacteria..new tank then white water and algae...ugh...I feel like i've researched everything their is to know about fish..but still I have problems. I have no plants..and I don't feed my fish too much....I can't test my water because I don't have test kit...can't buy one cause my mom is really mad at all the expenses we've had..water bill..new tank..new fish..dead fish...water treatments...cleaners...the tank is near a window that does shine a lot of light but I can't fix this cause my tank weighs like a gazillion pounds and their is no other spot to put it...if I change the water...I get white cloudy water...add medicine my fishhh die...so what do I do...my only fish left are 2 goldfish and 2 sharks...I need desperate help please...please help me. I don't know what I can do...The white cloudy water is supposed to disappear but it doesn't...and it comes back with algea. I did take the sites advice and do 25% water change daily for the cloudy water..but then the water gets green...and then I can't wait for that to get better..it just gets worse...I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place. ??? :-[

Please help me I would appreaciate it so much.

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry for your losses. The only way to really tell you how to save your fish is to get a test kit: Most of us use and recommend the master test kit from API. Print out the page and PetSmart should honor the price listed. Or atleast take a sample of water to your Local pet store and have it tested. Make sure they use the liquid test kits. Good luck

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Heres what I did when I encountered that problem...The tank needs to be cycled first though......Water changes - daily and frequent.....No lights for two weeks. Feed fish sparingly and monitor how much they eat...In fact I underfed puposely. Algae will feed on the excess food in the tank....Algae killing agents can be harmful to fish, plants and especially invertebrates....No major disturbances to the tank decor, filter, gravel, etc.......

Vacuum only 1/3 of your gravel per week to keep minI cycles from happening. See if that helps....If worse comes to worse - and I hate recommending chemicals, but it worked for my friend - He used Accurel F which is a water clarifying agent. He was experiencing suspended algae problems and nothing he tried worked...He used this stuff for a couple of days and WHAM! No more suspended algae, no lost fish, no lost plants, never to return again. That would be my last resort.

OP
Skyline

Skyline

Reaction score
Alright I got it but I have little problem.....I lost my ammonia testing card...I took everything out of the box but I have seemed to misplace..anyplace I can find the card?? Whats the test kit good for if I don't know what the colors mean?

Plse..anybody have a picture..I bought the one that was mention up at the top.

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will try to get a picture of mine tomorrow. What color does yours look? Bright yellow, yellow green, green, or dark green?

OP
Skyline

Skyline

Reaction score
bbfeckawitts said:
I will try to get a picture of mine tomorrow. What color does yours look? Bright yellow, yellow green, green, or dark green?
Well the card I think was the ammonia one and the bottle is yellow also..thank you so much ..my Testing kit is the one in the above link

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the pictures came out horrid... Do what it says to mix the solution with your water, then hold it up to a white peice of paper, what color is the mixture?
Brianna

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then your ammonia is in a fine level. What did you get for a reading on NitrItes, they should be under 1. And what did you get for NitrAtes? They should be under 20. Brianna

New Threads