Big Problem!

Miranda920

Reaction score
So about two weeks ago I got a few cichlids and they were doing fine until about two days ago. They’re kinda just floating in the water and on the bottom where they used to swim all over before. I already had a death of a bristlenose catfish so I checked the water. Nitrate is zero, PH is about 7.0-7.5, but the general hardness was a little high. Would that cause the fish to stop swimming? If so, please let me know how I can fix this.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any other recent additions or changes to the tank?

That is not good news you have. I'm sure some cichlid experts will chime in with some assistance.

How large is the tank?

At a minimum, I would perform a large water change, at least 50%. Then repeat in a couple of days. Fresh water added to a tank is usually the first step when dealing with ailments.

Are they South America or African cichlids? If they are African, they prefer harder water.

OP
M

Miranda920

Reaction score
KimberlyG said:
Nitrate is 0? Is the tank cycled? What is ammonia and nitrite? It sounds like an ammonia problem.
Ammonia and and nitrite is zero

Islandvic said:
What is ammonia and nititres?

Any other recent additions or changes to the tank?

That is not good news you have. I'm sure some cichlid experts will chime in with some assistance.

How large is the tank?

At a minimum, I would perform a large water change, at least 50%. Then repeat in a couple of days. Fresh water added to a tank is usually the first step when dealing with ailments.

Are they South America or African cichlids? If they are African, they prefer harder water.
40 gallon tank,, cichlids are only about an inch and half long tho

YATT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long has your tank been running. You mention two weeks but how long before that. Any other fish, etc?

Zeros across the board concern me (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate). That is an indication nothing is in your tank. Fish and left over food make ammonia. Nitrites turn into nitrates. Are you certain of your testing ability?

My recommendation. Take some water sample out of your tank to a LGS to get tested. Just get the sample and put it off to the side. Then do a big water change (50% minimum) before you go to the store.

Last question. What is your filter you are running on your 40 gallon? Any other tank history, temp, etc would be beneficial.

OP
M

Miranda920

Reaction score
YATT said:
How long has your tank been running. You mention two weeks but how long before that. Any other fish, etc?

Zeros across the board concern me (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate). That is an indication nothing is in your tank. Fish and left over food make ammonia. Nitrites turn into nitrates. Are you certain of your testing ability?

My recommendation. Take some water sample out of your tank to a LGS to get tested. Just get the sample and put it off to the side. Then do a big water change (50% minimum) before you go to the store.

Last question. What is your filter you are running on your 40 gallon? Any other tank history, temp, etc would be beneficial.
It was up two weeks before the fish were put in and it’s just the cichlids and now only one bristlenose

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Miranda920 said:
It was up two weeks before the fish were put in and it’s just the cichlids and now only one bristlenose
And what did you do to the tank during those 2 weeks to cycle it???

New Threads