Big Problem! Dwarf Gourami Picking On Snails

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

My Dwarf Gourami is picking on all of my Snails! I just watched him bite the Mystery Snail 3 times and then go bite the Rabbit Snail twice. He then went back to bite the Mystery Snail again. It was really bad! He went after a baby purple Mystery next and then knocked one of the blues off the glass from biting it. I had to remove him immediately.

Obviously he has to go, which really sucks.
    I'm gonna need a fish that won't hurt my Snails. Well, actually they are my daughter's Snails and she would be heartbroken if the fish killed them.

Any suggestions? It's a 20 gal tall tank. f2c72fdbce24b17965b5f1467b8e0d16.jpg

I am seriously so upset right now! He was perfect with everyone else and he was the perfect fish for that tank. :(

Would a Pearl Gourmai work? Or maybe 2 Honey Gourami's? I was also thinking of a school of Purple Rasboras. Would that work?
    I seem to have the worst luck. I can't keep any fish Mystery Snails yet they all get along with everything else, including Nerite Snails.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

HG's tend to be more peaceful in terms of Gouramis.
    I have a HG myself, and he's very calm. Never once bothered any of the fish.

3. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

Apologies if I'm making you repeat yourself, but could you remind us what else is in the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    O

That's fine. I have 15 Pygmy Corydoras, 8-10 Amano Shrimp Blue and Purple Mystery Snails and 2 Rabbit Snails.

Just as a side note, I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately. I hate having to ask them, but have found it necessary. I have been doing my own research, but everytime I think I have a good stocking plan I come and here and everyone says "nope, it won't work". So I have to start over again.

I have tons of experience with keeping fish and I know a lot about water chemistry and how to get your tank to have perfect water parameters. Ask me about Platys, Endlers, Mollies, any livebearers that are somewhat common I can help. Also have a ton of experience with Bettas and can help with almost any issue you may have.
    All of these fish are new to me. Keeping Mystery Snails is brand new to me. Only kept Nerites for years.
    Since all these fish are new to me I want to do things right and when I do my own research and everyone says that no, that won't work, I have no choice but to keep asking more questions. I want all of my fish to be happy and healthy. That is of the utmost importance to me, therefore I want to do things right from the start.

I'm sorry if it's getting to be too much and you all may be tired of answering my questions, but when I formulate my own stocking plan according to my own research and you all say it won't work, I have no choice but to keep asking what will work.
    Just needed to get that off of my chest.

5. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

A lot of people say Pearl Gouramis are much more peaceful and hardy than Dwarves. However, they get much bigger and most say a 29 is doable for them, but you actually need the footprint of a 30 or bigger. Can't speak from personal experience. I've been planning on keeping 1-2 myself is all.

Sorry about your frustrations. I know how you feel though if that helps. Hang in there.

6. OP
    OP
    O

I have 2 Honey Gourami's in my 29 gal tank. They are pretty and seem to be very peaceful and get along with everyone so it's good to hear others have that same experience. My next question would be though, if I move the Honey's to the 20, what could I put in the 29 to replace them? A Pearl?

I have 2 Honey Gourami's, 1 Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami, 1 female GBR, 7 Sterbai Corydoras and 4 Lamb Chops Rasboras ( will be upping their school as soon as I can find some more, they are out of stock everywhere I have looked including online). Also have a single female Platy who is a sweet heart.

How about 3 Honey Gourami's for the 20? Don't they do better in a group? They are super shy and I don't want fish that are hiding all the time.
    Then could I add a Pearl to my 29 with the Thick Lipped? I want variety and color.

I'm so frustrated right now. Every time I think I have everything perfect I have another problem. I just want to get my tanks stocked and be able to enjoy them for once.

How do you think Purple Harlequin Rasboras would do in the 20 gal?

I really want a Centerpiece Fish that is colorful and will spend most of it's time in top and middle sections of the tank, but I'm open to anything now that will get along with everyone else. I love blue, purple, orange and pink.

Yet one more question. Could a Betta work? My other 2 tried to eat the Pygmy's but maybe some will be fine with them?

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

There is no question of peacefulness. It's feeding. Food kept with creatures that eat it won't do well. Every gourami I have ever kept has had a go at escargots, I mean snails. It's a possible food source.

I have had Bettas that flipped snails and sucked them out of their shells, and have actually used Bettas to control snail populations.

8. OP
    OP
    O

So in that case would Purple Harlequin Rasboras or a large school of CPD's be a better choice? If so which would be the best bet?

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I like Harlequins, so I would suggest that. But both are equally good, as are redline Rasboras, fire rasboras, and the majority of small shoalers with small mouths.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Ok I'll give the purple Rasboras a try. Knowing my luck today will be the day they don't have them :/

11. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Honeys Gouramis or Peacock Gudgeons would work IMO

12. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I had a 3 spot with 6 Harlequin Rasboras, they were fine together.

13. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I'll see what I can find or order if I don't find anything I like in the store.

Don't Peacocks stay at the bottom?

So basically a Pearl Gourami is out period?

14. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

It sounds like you're getting some good advice, I agree with the additions above! Afraid I can't answer the Pearl Gourami questiton. I just wanted to pop back in to say that you don't need to feel bad for asking questions! I'm really sorry you've been having these constant struggles with your hobby, I think quite a few of us have been there. But finding answers to these questions is exactly what Fishlore is here for <3

15. OP
    OP
    O

Well I ended up getting 9 (1 extra just in case) Purple Harlequin Rasboras and adding my 2 Honey Gourami's to the 20 gal. I love the Rasboras and I really, really hope they won't pick on anyone.