Big Problem! Changed All Media At Once!!!

1. a

aaron ellis New Member Member

help please, im relatively new to fish keeping, i bought a 2nd hand mature tank and started to fill up my tank with fish, all was going well ... until i made a huge mistake, i changed all my media filter at once and i cant get my Ammonia levels down, my fish seem to be ok but one of them has got abit of fin rot (platy)

What can i do to build bacteria in my media quicker and what should i do with my fish? Im doing water changes every 2 days and adding bio-boost every other day as per the aqautic stores advice...

Any other ideas i need huge helllppppooo
    Aaron

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Seachem Stability and Prime will be your best bet along with water changes when Ammonia and Nitrite get to .5 or above as well as when Nitrate is near 40 or above. You can't really rush the beneficial bacteria, but there are products to jump start it. What size tank? What are your current parameters? What fish?

3. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Ask the aquatic stores or anyone you know with an aquarium if they will sell you some of their cycled media. That will help get everything back on track pretty quickly. In the mean time get your hands on some Seachem Prime if you don't already have some and dose daily to detox your ammonia and nitrites in your tank

4. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

What size tank? What is your stock (species and numbers)?