5 Gallon Tank Big platy fry with betta

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Hi, I have about 80 platy fry that I am growing out to sell to a local fish store. Right now I have 5 out of the breeder boxes in the tank and they have been doing just fine, but it’s obviously very stocked until I can sell the babies. I have a betta and a snail in a 5 gallon with a sponge filter and I’m just wondering if I could put some babies big enough not to get eaten into his tank? If so, how many?

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
5 gallon is a very small tank you may get away with putting more fish in it but don't get lazy you will need to do more water changes and watch your ammonia levels you would need an 80 gallon tank to support all of your platy to make it to sell . Be very hands on .

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Bighead said:
5 gallon is a very small tank you may get away with putting more fish in it but don't get lazy you will need to do more water changes and watch your ammonia levels you would need an 80 gallon tank to support all of your platy to make it to sell . Be very hands on .
No worries I’m definitely not lazy with my tanks or water changes. The platy babies are not in the 5 gallon though no worries. The next babies that are born I will probably leave them out to try to make it on their own and once I sell the ones I have then I can start saving some again. One of the 5 in the main tank is just about ready to be sold and the others are not far behind him. But as for my main question.. do you think I could put some fry with my betta?

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try one if it goes missing then you know you cant. The betta is usually ok with other species other than them self but being so small it might make a meal out of it. I've had them with gouramis and all was good in a ten and they are in the same family.

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Bighead said:
Try one if it goes missing then you know you cant. The betta is usually ok with other species other than them self but being so small it might make a meal out of it. I've had them with gouramis and all was good in a ten and they are in the same family.
Awesome thank you

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your tank is to small u need a 20 gal tank to do what u want to do

OP
Jennalovesanimals

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
johnbetta said: