Big plant mistakes

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Putting two sword plants in a 120 gallon tank. They get huge.
Putting jungle val in the tnak. They get huge.
Thinking aponogeton ulvaceus is a foreground plant
Being unable to grow red plants but keep trying
Did I mention sword plants get annoyingly large ?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have two swords as well that are going to need some major trimming soon. I also made the mistake of putting some elodea canadensis midground awhile back. What a mistake that was

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Yea I had a bit of anacharis in most of my tanks but with that stuff I can just rip it off and throw away. Not too sure how to trI'm my swords without them getting upset. Worse the regular sword has put out two runners one of them had plants larger than what I buy at the store. I ended taking that one and putting it in another tank (roots were already 4 inches long). I guess the annoyance is that when they are small they are actually pretty nice plants but now that the leaves are getting 3 inches wide and 20 inches long it just sort of dominates the tank. Can I like split it in 1/2 or something without damaging the plant ? I think in a future life I will stick to melon swords and rosette swords. I'm reluctant to do to much with the tank since I'll move in a year or so also i'm worried about the root structure oh well. Learning experience.
TWiG87 said:
I have two swords as well that are going to need some major trimming soon. I also made the mistake of putting some elodea canadensis midground awhile back. What a mistake that was

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like echinodorus bleherI ‘compacta’

They stay short, (6 inches) and they reproduce really quickly, so you can sell them off easily

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
How does it differ from the rosette sword ?

KingJamal2 said:
I really like echinodorus bleherI ‘compacta’

They stay short, (6 inches) and they reproduce really quickly, so you can sell them off easily

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m also unsure of how to trI'm leaves off of my sword plants. I guess some YouTube is in order.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to think my amazon sword plants are not as happy and y'alls are :( I am hoping mine will someday decide to grow up into adults. :) They appear to be healthy but are still little guys. Each of mine have a root tab under them and they get nilog Thrive at least once a week after the water change but are not really growing like they should be. I do want to let you know the windlov ferns, anacharis and the jungle val like their new home and are doing well :)

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jake37 said:
How does it differ from the rosette sword ?
It doesn’t differ much. The compacta sword is a bit lighter in color than the rosette, and the leaves are a bit pointier.
0A9C6058-3020-43A2-9416-6931216D53C0.jpeg

These are my compacta swords. They are a light green with pointy leaves

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not good with plant names but I’ve got these which I thought were amazon swords. I expected them to grow big but they stopped at this size and I’m happy with them like this
56B3A952-D6D2-4E1C-85AE-D4D3708F76C2.jpeg

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
That looks like a regular sword - i think melon sword are a bit rounder - also my melon sword have a bit of red. My regular sword plant stayed small for about a year and then i did something (not sure what) and it took off and became massive in under 3 months. It now has 2 runners with plants larger than ones you buy at the store (i can't really tell how large yours is because there is no frame of reference). Not sure what I will do with the plants on the runner - i put one in another tank but i'm thinking i should cut it and toss it. I guess what i'm saying is i have several plants that struggled for a long time and i swore they would never grow or stay small and then they became too large. Actually in my case i had two lilies on either side of the sword blocking the light and i started trimming their leaves so a column of light would make it down to the sword plant (if that makes sense - i trained them to send the leaves away from the sword instead of into the sword) and that is probably what cause the sword to re-establish itself. Oh well I really should stop being shy about pulling some of these larger plants.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TWiG87 said:
I’m also unsure of how to trI'm leaves off of my sword plants. I guess some YouTube is in order.
If your swords have a good root system you can grab it low down the stem n give it a quick tug and it will usually pop right off stem and all... that’s how I do mine all the time never uprooted any yet...

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
That removes leaves but how do you get the new leaves to stay small ?

kallililly1973 said:
If your swords have a good root system you can grab it low down the stem n give it a quick tug and it will usually pop right off stem and all... that’s how I do mine all the time never uprooted any yet...

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Strangely enough I just did it this morning. That method worked out well and the plant didn’t budge.
jake37 you are never going to be able to keep them small. The leaves will grow. Unless you are constantly removing leaves so that only the small ones exist, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
The regular sword puts out small leaves that gets big but the ruffle - well they are big from the get go :(
-
Ok thanks. I think i'll live with it till i move and in the future get more rosette and melon swords. I do have a red flame sword - not sure how big it will get. It is sort of like the regular one (they are the same age). For over a year it hasn't done much but recently it started asserting itself.

TWiG87 said:
Strangely enough I just did it this morning. That method worked out well and the plant didn’t budge.
jake37 you are never going to be able to keep them small. The leaves will grow. Unless you are constantly removing leaves so that only the small ones exist, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

New Threads