Big plans for my betta

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Reptiguy97, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

I was reading on the Internet that you can keep neon tetras with a betta fish is this true? And if so I may need to get some bog wood. Whair can I find bog wood? I have been to pet smart and they doent have any so I doen't know whair to go to get it. One more question bog wood secrets something that turns the water yellow now would that have any affect on my betta? So what do you all think is it a good ideah? I would love to here your oppionions on this plan befor I do anything.

2. NikitaWell Known MemberMember

Neons and Bettas can coexist, yes (Actually it depends on the bettas personality, but most are usually peaceful enough to house a few tank-mates). The thing that makes the water yellow is called Tannins. They are not harmful at all to any fish. They are more beneficial than anything. If you soak the wood prior to adding it to the tank than there will not really be any tannins to make the water yellow.

By the way, how big is your tank that you plan on housing your betta and neons in?

3. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Most members advise against keeping bettas with other fish, and if you do, you must make sure you have a plan B - a tank to relocate either the betta or the neons should things go foul.

Also, bogwood (normally called driftwood) is definitely not a requirement. I have many pieces of driftwood; I scrubbed, boiled, and soaked mine prior to putting it in the tank, and didn't have any leaching. I think it was probably overkill, and less was probably required. But like Nikita said, there are many fish who like living in tannin-stained water.

Assuming the neons are going with the betta in your 10 gallon (you'll probably reply before I post this anyway :p), that's big enough that you could try with neons, but personally I wouldn't do it. :) I wouldn't to risk either the betta or the neons.

4. Reptiguy97Valued MemberMember

Well I am having some second thoughts about the neon tetras now but I would like to know one thing though if bog wood is just driftwood than could I just go to Lake Michigan and get some driftwood frome the shoreline?

5. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I think you can get a small-ish piece of driftwood at pet stores for $10-$20. Otherwise you could look at AquaBid, people are always selling it.

Edit: You could collect your own driftwood, but it's a long process to get it tank ready. You have to soak it in water for weeks, I don't remember what else, but you can read up on it if you like.

6. LorenHuskyValued MemberMember

I was just at the Pet store buying some Danios and I noticed the tank directly next to them had a Betta in it. I started watching it for a second and there was Cardinal Tetras, and a bunch of Neons in with him. They seemed to not even notice eachother. Here's a good link about Betta's tankmates.  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice