Big momma

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Joel2036, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey just wondering If this was a sign of her about to give birth ?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354096150.403589.jpg
    How the back looks really square ?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Looks to me like she could birth about anytime now. Let's get more responses. For most live bearers for the home aquarium, it takes anywhere from 28 to 40 days or so.

Best wishes for many healthy fry!

Keep us posted.

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

She is just resting on the sand now but every now and then she will swim to the surface but back down again

4. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Is her back getting dark? I've found that when my guppies get HUGE (way bigger than yours is now) they turn dark because of the stress. After that, they give birth in a few days... or, occasionally they die because the babies get stuck. That's always sad, but it hasn't happened for a really long time.

5. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Is she young? I ask as my younger female guppies box up but not as much as my older females, from what I read it seems to be because they don't hold as many babies in there. I would guess that as long as she isn't stressed (ie chased to put into a breeder net) should drop any day. Congrats!

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

I think something went wrong with giving birth :( I found about 4 new fry then I found her dead :( she was my favorite girl !!

7. aquatic

Sorry for your loss. Did she look pregnant still? I've read that younger females, being smaller, may have fry get stuck. Good luck on raising her offspring.

8. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yeah she still looked very pregnant, it does look like there was a fry half way out of her because there is something that looks like a little tail coming out of her, could that be why because the fry got stuck ?

9. aquatic

I've read younger females may have a larger fry that might not have gotten stuck had she been a full grown female. Sounds like that is what happened to yours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice