Big Fish For Id Ii (cold Water One)

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Isidro, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Isidro

IsidroNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    In a thematic tank with cods, flatfishes and rays. New England aquarium, unlabelled. Any idea? Thanks!

full?d=1565156479.

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,576
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Why don't you ask someone at the aquarium?

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,102
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd post in the SW ID section, since it is a SW fish.

4. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,576
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wish we had an aquarium to go to in the desert. We just have to live with our native dry land fish- the rattlesharks, scorpioneels and tetra-ntulas lol!

5. OP
    OP
    Isidro

IsidroNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Momgoose, that's a thing that I've done sometimes, but only after all possible resources are tried and failed. It must be used as last resource, as the aquarium staff is not here for reply the emails of visitors. If the time pass and nobody (including myself) is able to ID the fish, then I will ask to the aquarium.

chromedome, I was sure that I've posted it in the saltwater section already! It was not?? :wideyed:

6. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,576
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That's weird. It's a public aquarium. In the US that you have to pay to get into. Usually they have docent's or volunteers that are MORE than happy to answer questions. Especially places that do global activism and are rescue facilities whose whole interest is saving wildlife. I work at a wildlife rescue and we welcome tours and visitors with questions. It's called "public relations and education". Educating the public saves animals, work for the staff and brings in big donations--one single donation we got was enough for us to build a whole brand new shipping and receiving garage/dock, hospital, ICU, Surgery, x-ray, recovery and food prep/storage facility. Maybe you could volunteer (or start a volunteer program there) and make it your project to put labels on those tanks that identify the fish in them!

7. OP
    OP
    Isidro

IsidroNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Weird?? Aquariums are paid to get into, so people can see the fishes, can learn about the writen info, can take pictures, etc. You don't pay for ask the staff making an extra effort in replying mails, overall those that also implies the extra work of research. Maybe your wildlife rescue is the exception, or maybe wildlife rescues doesn't work in the same way that public aquarium does, but usually, I tend to tink that asking them too much is a bit of abuse, so it's more educated to reduce the questions as much as possible. It's just a matter of being polite, nothing else.

8. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    Tautog. Or just tog or blackfish, locally, depending on region. One of the best eating fish in the northeast as well as a popular sport/recreational fish.

9. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,576
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you're really interested in these fish and animals, that looks like an excellent opportunity for you to approach the aquarium about starting a volunteer program there. I learned a lot more about our native wildlife here by actually working with and around the animals than I ever did just asking questions and doing research.

10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,164
    Experience:
    2 years
    Tautog

11. OP
    OP
    Isidro

IsidroNew MemberMember

Ratings: