Big Central Plant For A 55g?

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

I have been hunting for Crinum natans to no avail. I was wondering if anyone knew of a plant that had a similar shape? I'd heard of amazon swords, but don't know a species to look for. A quick search pulled up Aponogeton boivinianus. It looks to have a nice big leaf like I'm looking for.

Basically, I'm looking for something that will get decently big and fill the middle of my tank. My tank is a 55 gallon with inert sand substrate and no CO2. Light is a Vivagrow 24/7. Anyone have any ideas?

Pics of the setup for an idea.

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are so many plants that would work, it really depends on what you want.
If I'm correct Aponogeton boivinianus. is a bulb plant and grows very big.
I have water sprite on the right side of my tank it grows fairly large and can be trimmed as little or as hard as you want to shape it.
I have a tree in the center of my 125 similar to your only bigger and I've covered it with Java Fern, I think it looks nice.
So there are lots of ways to go here.

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
James17 said:
There are so many plants that would work, it really depends on what you want.
If I'm correct Aponogeton boivinianus. is a bulb plant and grows very big.
I have water sprite on the right side of my tank it grows fairly large and can be trimmed as little or as hard as you want to shape it.
I have a tree in the center of my 125 similar to your only bigger and I've covered it with Java Fern, I think it looks nice.
So there are lots of ways to go here.
I like the idea of a single, central, broad leafed plant. That's why I was so drawn to the crinum. Doyou have any experience witht voivinianus?

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, the only one I had rotted in the soil, haven't tried again lately.
But I think you are correct it would look great in the center of your tank.

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
James17 said:
No, the only one I had rotted in the soil, haven't tried again lately.
But I think you are correct it would look great in the center of your tank.
Sweet. I'd like to get some advice before I get to into one.

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gersh said:
Sweet. I'd like to get some advice before I get to into one.
Bump

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a large amazon sword (echinodorus bleheri) in my 75, and in my 40. They make great centerpiece plants! They are available almost anywhere.
This is a photo of the left side of my tank, that is my sword on the right. My angel is almost full grown, to give you an idea of how big they can get.
bd2c83198359a662bb4303ca5340dd12.jpg

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AngelTheGypsy said:
I have a large amazon sword (echinodorus bleheri) in my 75, and in my 40. They make great centerpiece plants! They are available almost anywhere.
This is a photo of the left side of my tank, that is my sword on the right. My angel is almost full grown, to give you an idea of how big they can get.
bd2c83198359a662bb4303ca5340dd12.jpg
I'm defintiely leaning towards a sword but IDK why kind.

tommywantfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gersh said:
Hello,

I have been hunting for Crinum natans to no avail. I was wondering if anyone knew of a plant that had a similar shape? I'd heard of amazon swords, but don't know a species to look for. A quick search pulled up Aponogeton boivinianus. It looks to have a nice big leaf like I'm looking for.

Basically, I'm looking for something that will get decently big and fill the middle of my tank. My tank is a 55 gallon with inert sand substrate and no CO2. Light is a Vivagrow 24/7. Anyone have any ideas?

Pics of the setup for an idea.
Check out anubias gigantea

Also...nice plant here.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love aponogeton biovinianus it’s a great plant. It gets huge, my leaves were 36-48 inches long (no joke)... I had two, one in a 40 (way too small of a tank) and one in my 75 (eventually my Goldie’s ate it). Loves potassium and good lighting (medium range)

Biggest downside it the leaves get an out of control look very quickly... they go every which way, depends if that’s the style you want... large swords look way better....

I believe crinium natans was either on aquabid or ebay recently...

OP
Gersh

Gersh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jocelyn Adelman said:
I love aponogeton biovinianus it’s a great plant. It gets huge, my leaves were 36-48 inches long (no joke)... I had two, one in a 40 (way too small of a tank) and one in my 75 (eventually my Goldie’s ate it). Loves potassium and good lighting (medium range)

Biggest downside it the leaves get an out of control look very quickly... they go every which way, depends if that’s the style you want... large swords look way better....

I believe crinium natans was either on aquabid or ebay recently...

I'm gonna go with a ruffle leaf sword (Echinodorus martii). Should be easier to find. After some research, I don't like the bulb plant idea since they need the rest period to stay healthy. Would look great, but I would definitely forget.

New Threads