Big Blue & Outrageous Orange Fry

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Mcasella, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I have a new accidental pair of angelfish, mom and dad have been separated to prevent injury between them (their reflections where making them anxious and they started to turn on each other because of that, a barrier was put up to separate the other tank mates from Dad, Big Blue, who has been left with half the babies. I kidnapped the other half as they were hatching out.), their fry are currently two days old as they hatched on 7/16/17.
    Dad is a marble pearlscale with one dose of blue, mom is a koi with pretty good coverage (wrong color for a gold or even a sunset, the orange extends into portions of her fins), both are comb tail veils.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

The fry are starting to develop the area they will have eyes in, but no discernible eyes yet. They are maybe a quarter of an inch big which is a far cry from being a pen tip in size two days ago.
    I have not seen any dead fry on the bottom of the tank they are in and the water is roughly 77 degrees, but will likely bump it up a touch to help them. Everyone seems to be wiggling nicely like little ornaments on the plant I placed them on with a pipette.

3. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

I got pictures of the fry, they are all a little darker and their eyes look silver in the light. BB's half of the batch are doing well, he is being a good daddy. They may even be better off with him and the barrier is holding but still giving the cory cats enough space to use the whole bottom of the tank.
    Here are pictures of the fry with dad and dad's butt. And a good shot of dad saying no more pictures of his kids.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Dad's fry are gone, he doesn't seem terribly upset, my half of the batch are doing well, trying to start swimming on their own and growing by the day.

5. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Sad news, Blue's half of the batch has disappeared. I have only found one dead fry in my half of the batch and they are getting ready to start free swimming by how small their egg sacks/yolks have gotten and how big their eyes are. I expect to see them darting about tomorrow evening or the following morning at the latest. I also have an issue with a monster that magically appeared in the tank (probably from the plants, i am disappointed to find whatever it is in there and i am also worried there might be more so i will have to be extra vigilant about it, some kind of segmented worm that is red in color - no one has been fed because they do not eat until they have started free swimming.
    20170723_210330.jpeg

6. Honey gourami guy

Honey gourami guyNew MemberMember

Sorry about his fry

7. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

It was likely one of the smaller fish, it is a community tank after all, I expected it to happen sooner to be honest, he either moved them and attrached the ghost cats to the barrier or the cory cats finally found them.

8. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

It was likely one of the smaller fish, it is a community tank after all, I expected it to happen sooner to be honest, he either moved them and attrached the ghost cats to the barrier or the cory cats finally found them.

9. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

They have started to free swim a little, i expect to be able to start feeding them tomorrow! So far I have only had one dead fry, besides the ones that were eaten under dad's watch. Pretty much every single one of them is on the floor of the tank, a couple are swimming along the bottom and another few are wiggling in the plants still.

Attached Files:

10. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

How exciting! Best of luck with them! :)

11. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Everyone is free swimming now, it is fun seeing them actually moving through the water instead of boot-scooting along the bottom on their heads lol. They seem to all have a little color (black line on top and bottom so far), they all have silver metallic eyes, the previous Koi angel babies I had had metallic gold eyes. I am expecting mostly marbles from this group, i do not expect any pearlscales, but I also don't know what mom carries so I may have a couple surprises in this pairing. I don't have an exact count still, but there are so many eyeballs that 50 sounds like a low number, the spawn was relatively well fertilized with about 25 dead eggs out of the whole batch of at least 150 fry.
    Lets play count the pale dots! lol
    20170725_194709.jpeg
    20170725_215409.jpeg

12. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

I have lost several dozen fry, I don't know if the water change was too big for them or just weak fry. Some are swimming stronger than others, some I can tell I will lose.

13. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

I am stressed out, I had a massive die off and I am not entirely sure why, the remaining fry have nicely rounded bellies and seem to be swimming okay, I went from well over 80 to 7-8 fry in the span of two days. I am not sure what went wrong, but the dead fry almost look like they have swollen eyes (though that may be the fungus grown on them distorting their looks). I rescued nine out of the tank, first i thought I only had four then watched the water after taking out everything but the dead babies and saw little motions in the water and proceeded to pull out five more, one of which passed on me while I was cleaning their tank out. I removed all leafy plants and left them only anacharis and another needle-type-leaf plant. Their small air pump powered filter is running, their heater appears to be working fine. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe too much food.
    The remaining few seem to be swimming around in their refreshed tank but I will be watching them the rest of the night to try and avoid anymore devastating deaths as best as I am able. I am collectively calling them "Sunshine". Mom and dad are not in the same tank right now so I cannot expect any more accidental babies, though my silver pair may spawn before I can sell them lol (those are a veil comb and a standard fins, they are a big pair and the female was getting very gravid last time I looked at her, though it will be funny, because they share a tank with two other females, if they spawn on the divider together I may end up with several partial spawns in one tank, though the silver female will likely spawn on the slate or the sword).

14. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear you lost so many! Hopefully the rest of them will pull through.

15. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

The good thing is the water here reads 0 across the board, with a low ph of 6.7. So water changes are easy with prime to knock out the chlorine. I am not sure what happened and I stupidly didn't save any old water to test.

16. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Easy to do in a panic.

17. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

I was worried about the remaining babies getting a cold chill that would put them into further shock. But so far I'm not seeing anyone left jerking around or swimming weirdly. fingers crossed is all I can say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice