Big Black Dent/hole In Goldfish's Back

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
Hello...
I've sent the vet photos and called many times with no reply... now I think s/he's dying. I've attached pics I also sent the vet. The hole looked superficial at first (several months ago)... we changed the water and cleaned the tank. Gradually (almost a year later) it grew and deepened to a huge black crater. S/he's now upside down behind some artificial plants. There are two of them... the other one is fine. They're very large goldfish (7"- 9") long in a 55 gallon aquarium with pump.

What do you make of this?

I thought of actually taking him/her out of there and gently cleaning him/her off (with what?) then placing her/him back in... Can you tell what sex it is, please, also? ...but the blackness runs deeper than I think it does. I think it's in the fish's entire upper half or a good portion. It seems to be futile.

Thanks in advance.

PS - these pics were taken exactly a month ago when I first reached out for help and no one replied... it has since worsened... it's currently black-black, deeper, and about 10% bigger in just 30 days.

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't get an answer to your question it isn't because we don't care. This one is a hard one. I wish I could help but sadly, I have no idea as to what is going on with your fish. It looks like some kind of flesh eating bacteria but I would 't have any idea as to how it would have gotten it or how to treat it.

Hopefully someone will have a better idea as to what is happening.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Holy ****. That looks terrible. I would try to get some antibiotics if I were you, maybe kanaplex/metroplex combo would be good? You can take him out and clean it with hydrogen peroxide if you want, and put some neosporin on it if you have some. Just be sure your hands are clean and wet with tank water before picking him up and hold him in a wet washcloth (soaked in tank water), and try to get him back in the water as quickly as possible.

Have you not cleaned the tank since several months ago? Do you test the water?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry. This guy doesn't look good at all. I probably would have euthanized him.

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
MissRuthless said:
Holy ****. That looks terrible. I would try to get some antibiotics if I were you, maybe kanaplex/metroplex combo would be good? You can take him out and clean it with hydrogen peroxide if you want, and put some neosporin on it if you have some. Just be sure your hands are clean and wet with tank water before picking him up and hold him in a wet washcloth (soaked in tank water), and try to get him back in the water as quickly as possible.

Have you not cleaned the tank since several months ago? Do you test the water?
I don't know how to test aquarium water... I assume because the other fish is completely fine that it's isolated incident. We put fresh water in it a few months ago and clean the filters frequently.

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
If you don't get an answer to your question it isn't because we don't care. This one is a hard one. I wish I could help but sadly, I have no idea as to what is going on with your fish. It looks like some kind of flesh eating bacteria but I would 't have any idea as to how it would have gotten it or how to treat it.

Hopefully someone will have a better idea as to what is happening.
that is a good guess (flesh-eating bacteria).

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ConceredFishOwner said:
how would you euthanize him?..
I can't make that call for you. There is no structure in that area that should be dark. I would say it is necrosis. That area of tissue is dead. It is spreading. If it were my fish, yes I would.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should pick up an API freshwater test kit asap. You really need to know what's going on in your water - things like this generally don't happen for no reason. Water changes should be weekly, especially with messy fish like goldies, and if you haven't added new water in months the nitrate level is probably extremely toxic. Just because the other fish looks okay doesn't mean it is okay and is not suffering. If you have not been removing the nitrate buildup, which is the end product of fish waste decomposition, via regular water changes, it hasn't gone anywhere on its own. Most fish can fight off infection if their immune systems are not compromised - it's usually when the water is unhealthy that opportunistic diseases take hold as the fish are weakened.

Large daily water changes (50% or more) and a good antibiotic may help this fish recover, or it may be too late, but the water changes are absolutely necessary no matter what, as I promise you your water is highly toxic right now, and your other fish is in danger too. Please click on the word "nitrogen cycle" and read up, it will explain everything about water parameters and testing and all that. Goldfish have been known to make it many years in horrible conditions, but surviving a few years is not thriving - not when they can live to 30 with proper care. Please ask anything you need to, most of us have been there so there are no stupid questions.

Edit: you can buy a tiny bottle of clove oil at any pharmacy, but it's behind the counter so you'll have to ask. If you do need to euthanize we can provide instruction.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is possible that this guy could heal if it got fresh water at least once a week. I have a 55 gallon tank with small tropical fish in it and change out at least 30% of the water every week. Other folks change out even more each week.

It is probably too late for him/her but water changes thus clean water may prevent the same thing happening to your other one.

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
I'll have my hsuband read what you typed, MissRuthless... because he is the one strong enough to lift so many gallons when changing it out. There's no pharmacy open tonight. I've read where someone else said to put it in a bag filled with its water and put it in the freezer for euthanasia.

We usually add tap water then Prime concentrated conditioner. Once a week you recommend cleaning the water out, say 85% (just enough at the bottom for them to swim around)? And tap is okay? What if it's not 100% room temp?

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
It is possible that this guy could heal if it got fresh water at least once a week. I have a 55 gallon tank with small tropical fish in it and change out at least 30% of the water every week. Other folks change out even more each week.

It is probably too late for him/her but water changes thus clean water may prevent the same thing happening to your other one.
Only 30% of the water gets changed weekly at your house? Interesting. Yours are tropical though - mine are 'dirtier' goldfish. Yeah, it's too late for him.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't freeze the fish. That's an extremely slow and painful death. 50% water changes would be ideal under normal circumstances, but right now I'd ask your husband to do two 50% changes back to back, or one 75%. Large water changes (over 50%) aren't great because it's stressful, but sometimes necessary. Tap water needs to be dechlorinated first, and as long as it feels pretty close to the touch, a degree or two off isn't going to kill them. You should look into getting a python siphon, it's around $20 and hooks up to the sink so you can change the water in ten minutes with no heavy lifting required. This way you can just add your prime straight to the tank and pump the new water right in. Best to add the prime first though, enough for the entire tank volume, and then the water. Also with a gravel siphon you can get all the poo and food out of the gravel - if your not vacuuming then it's building up under there. If your husband isn't around at the moment to change the water, I would throw in 4-5x the normal dose of prime right now just because you don't know what's going on in there, and it will bind up the bad stuff until tomorrow when you guys can get some fresh water into it.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ConceredFishOwner said:
Only 30% of the water gets changed weekly at your house? Interesting. Yours are tropical though - mine are 'dirtier' goldfish. Yeah, it's too late for him.
Right. I let my nitrate numbers tell me how often to do the water changes. Sometime I can go a week but often it is every 5 days. I change out at least 50% of the water in my 5 gallon tank every other day but only because I am growing out some molly fry and they have to be fed several times a day. More food, more poop = more water changes

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
Okay I won't... tbh, I am going to just let him be where he seems to want to be (behind the artificial plants) - I think he put himself there to die? Unless the current did. Okay (little less than 50%) after the 75% one we'll do. Is Prime a good brand of dechlorinater serum? Okay I'm going to squeeze a bunch in there now just in case. I'll have him read everything above about python, nitrogen cycle, and API freshwater test kit. I thought Prime dechlorinated... no idea.

ConceredFishOwner

Reaction score
maybe... s/he passed last night about 9PM we changed 70% of the water... other fish is looking around like "where the h is my buddy?" otherwise we're recovering.

Tassie_Jules

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ConceredFishOwner said:
maybe... s/he passed last night about 9PM we changed 70% of the water... other fish is looking around like "where the h is my buddy?" otherwise we're recovering.
Sorry about your fish dying , hopefully the water changes and testing will make sure his buddy lives a full life

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom