Help big big problem

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Ricky welcome to FishLore!!
What size tank is this? If one fish has ich, they've all been exposed.
Most times ich can be cleared up without medication. Increase the temp to 86F, add increase aeration to make up for less oxygen in warmer water.
Leave it there for 2 weeks, do gravel vacs and water changes to get any ich spores.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know this is a little controversial and not everyone agrees with it, but for loaches, due to their lower tolerance to ich I recommend bumping the temp up to 90f instead (do it very slowly like over a day or more) This higher temp will instantly kill ich once it falls off the fish and will ensure they can not reinfect any of the fish again. I have done this twice in treatment of ich on my tank and I did not notice any increased stress on the fish going from 86 to 90. the loaches can not tolerate ich as well as other fish and cannot risk getting reinfected so killing it immediately I think is best.
also as Lucy said be sure to add an airstone and do water changes.

Ricky_Chambers

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank u very much this sounds good although will i have enough time from now til fri or would i need longer time to cure this ?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ich takes longer than a week to get rid of because of it's life cycle.
The heat will kill the active parasite on this fish. However, the younger stages will hatch and look for a host (your fish). That's why the heat has to be raised for at least 2 weeks.
I don't think loaches handle meds very well and imo, if something can be cured without them, all the better.
Many meds will also effect your tank's cycle and only get rid of one stage of the parasite.
How long will you be gone?

Ricky_Chambers

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
for 10 ten days im just a bit cautious of leaving the heat high for that period of time without supervision saying that though if i dont raise the heat then the ich will probably kill them anyway should i just raise the heat throughout the week and then hope for the best??? trust it to happen right now :-(

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Ricky_Chambers,

I also found ICH in one of my tanks 1 week before I left for a 3 week vacation.

All I could do was raise the temp, do water changes during that week and leave it in my brother's care after that. I don't have a heater (the acrylic tank is a great insulator and the temp in our apartment is always steady) so it made me feel more at ease.

I lost one fish (not sure how since I wasn't around) but the others are fine. I have only scaleless fish in that tank so I couldn't use medicine. A lot of threads I've read say that the temperature is more effective than medication so I would suggest leaving the temp high, as the others have suggested, for the time while you're away.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When raising my tank up to 90f the ich was gone in less than a week. That being said I still kept the tank elevated to make sure it was gone, but I don't think I would leave it even at 86f for 10 days unattended. Would someone be able to come by and turn the tank down while you are gone?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom