Big Bertha - Big Mystery Snail

Tom Bowling

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone. I have a quick question. A woman that I know has a Mystery Snailed Named Bertha. The sucker is HUGE!!!! Its a Freshwater, that seems like it must have been eating anything and everything. My apologies for not having a picture, but trust me, it is baseball size. Has anybody ever seen anything like that before? How do you get a snail that large?

Lance0414

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have seen a baseball sized Mystery before at my lfs, a friend of mine had one that was just shy of 2 1/2" when it died.

Rowan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I believe that "mystery snail" usually means Pomacea bridgesii, and those tend to max out at a couple inches. But there are other related species of "apple snail" that get much larger!

(Disclaimer: I haven't personally kept any of the above snails; this is just based on what I've read.)

Lance0414

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It is best to describe which species you are talking about, as both are from the same family Pomacea and both are interchangeably called Apple and Mystery. The normal Apple sold is P. maculata, while the normal Mystery is P. bridgesii. Both average around 3-4", but a lot get larger.

OP
Tom Bowling

Tom Bowling

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know. Bertha is very beautiful. I will try and get pics next weekend and dump on here for you guys to see

New Threads