Big Aquascape change...will this work?

Leeman75

I have struggled with trying to create a planted tank in my main large (55 gallon) tank for over a year. There have been times where I thought I had turned a corner based on plant selection and care, but I've had little overall success. Add to that, I now have a mix of fish in the tank that have realized that they have a taste for plants and they are destroying what little I have in there.

It seems that 90% of this Forum tout how important a planted tank is and the benefits of such, but I'm thinking I need to let that dream go for now. So here's my questions:

How hard is it on the plants to transplant them to another tank? If they already have massive leaf damage, is it even worth it? My 20 gallon hex tank has plants in it that are doing ok so that is where I think I'll place them.

I have driftwood and rocks in the 55 and a couple of plants glued, so I'll probably leave those in. Would it look weird too just have those in and no plants to speak of?

Any other suggestions here? I saw an old post someone stated something along the lines of "I keep fish, not plants", so changing the stocking in the 55 is not an option.

NofishB4

I keep mostly silk plants in my 38G with some anubias, java moss and java fern (which is not looking so hot). Most fish leave anubias alone and it's really low light. You could also add pothos to your filter to help with nitrates if that is what you are worried about.

As long as your parameters are good, you keep up with your maintenence, your fish are eating and swimming happily, and YOU like your tank then nothing else matters.

Basil

I redid my 40 breeder to only attached anubias, java fern, and java moss due to some over zealous gardening by my barbs. I love the way it turned out. Going to add some frog bit after the holiday shipping fiasco dies down.
As far as moving plants, just try it. The worse they could do is die completely. Or they might thrive in a different tank.

faydout

Leeman75 said:
If they already have massive leaf damage, is it even worth it?
Sure, a lot of times when we get plants in the mail, the leaves can look notso hotso, and may have been grown emersed. I'd say give it a go, as long as the root structures look ok.

Leeman75 said:
I have driftwood and rocks in the 55 and a couple of plants glued, so I'll probably leave those in. Would it look weird too just have those in and no plants to speak of?
It wouldn't look weird at all. If you're looking for a bit more green though, imo, some of the mosses (christmas, weeping, etc.) might work, if the fish allow it.

coralbandit

I let my plants float beside the val which is in pots[ where it grows] ..
I gave up on trying to 'conventionally grow plants and now have them in every tank .Seems most of what I have does well floating near the surface or wherever it lands in the tanks .
Fish first all the way .Chasing nutrient deficiencies in plants is like chasing the perfect KH ..You can't do one thing that will not effect another .
I use no ferts and have subbwassertang ,hygrophylia ,bolbitus,anubias,swords,java ferns and who knows what other easy plants ..Do any look stellar ? the subb does but most other look like plants you would find in the wild ,not a manicured aquarium ..Hum ...
I know my tanks are lousy with pothos roots also and honestly none of the plants have much effect on the tanks water . It all needs to done the same as if the tanks were completely void of plants.And my plants are the nutrient sponges everyone touts ..Hum??

Leeman75

Thanks for the input all! I definitely have plants that look more like in the wild than manicured, especially before my SA Cichlids started attacking them!

I ended up pulling the trigger and am glad that I did. With the driftwood, stone, and a few glued plants, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it might.

And the 20 Hex looks much more planted, which I like. The Neon Tetras like more cover and the Keyholes are swimming in and out of the more dense plants like the Wendtii. I think this will work!

I think I may add a few silk plants to the 55 eventually to get some green and height. Any brand recommendations @Nofish84?

NofishB4

Leeman75 said:
Thanks for the input all! I definitely have plants that look more like in the wild than manicured, especially before my SA Cichlids started attacking them!

I ended up pulling the trigger and am glad that I did. With the driftwood, stone, and a few glued plants, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it might.

And the 20 Hex looks much more planted, which I like. The Neon Tetras like more cover and the Keyholes are swimming in and out of the more dense plants like the Wendtii. I think this will work!

I think I may add a few silk plants to the 55 eventually to get some green and height. Any brand recommendations @Nofish84?
My favourite silk plants I got from a LFS called Aquagiant that was going out of business. I picked them up for $1 EACH. They were labelled as aquagiant brand so maybe you might have a store where you are? I was just starting out and got 1 of everything...man am I kicking myself now. I could’ve planted so much more. I’ve never found any I like as much. The marina silk plants discolour quite quickly.
The bright green in left corner are plastic from pet mart and next on the chopping block.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom