Bichir's & Pangasius?

FreshwaterCole

Anyone with experience in keeping Pangasius and Polypterus?

Should one wait for them to be adult size to be housed together?

Thanks In advance,

Cole

Redshark1

I would redirect you to Monsterfishkeepers for advice from owners.

However, my view is that Pangasius are unsuitable for home aquaria due to their size and behaviour.

I feel Polypterus have much more potential for the home aquarium. The main problem is that they may bite or swallow other fish at night.

FreshwaterCole

Redshark1 said:
I would redirect you to Monsterfishkeepers for advice from owners.

However, my view is that Pangasius are unsuitable for home aquaria due to their size and behaviour.

I feel Polypterus have much more potential for the home aquarium. The main problem is that they may bite or swallow other fish at night.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.
Yes totally agree that Pangasius do not belong in the aquarium trade.
FreshwaterCole said:
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.
Yes totally agree that Pangasius do not belong in the aquarium trade.
With that being said, the Pangasius was sold from lfs as "Will grow to size of tank, live about 5 years and great substrate cleaner" New to hobby and having no reason in not trusting the store was actually first purchase lol. Yeah I dread it, but my son loves that fish.
Pool in basement, or if I can fit one through the door a 300g. Probably gonna have to settle with pool though.
We have 2 Senegalus, currently growing out in a 40gb. 120 coming by summer. But long-haul I'm wondering if these species would get along, as the Senegalus can grow past 12" and well I suppose everyone knows how big a Pangasius can get!

Redshark1

At adult size Pangasius will swallow Polypterus sensgalus easily but do your reading at Monsterfishkeepers.

An example of the insight you can find there:

FreshwaterCole

Awesome, thanks again!

Latest threads

Top Bottom