Bichir

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by CatPlaysWithPets, Apr 9, 2017.

1. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Hey guys. So I recently found out my tiger oscar will grow too big for his 55 gallon. So, once he is big enough that I have to find a new home for him, I was wondering if I'd be able to keep a bichir in that tank. The only ones they have at my lfs is the "dinosaur bichir." I think this is aka the Senegal bichir. Thanks to anyone for the help

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Books&FishWell Known MemberMember

I don't have one, but a local craiglist ad has a person selling one with its tank. It's a 220 gallon and that fish takes up a lot of space! I would say no.

4. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Oh darn. Ok thank you

5. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

The Senegalus are one of the smaller ones. Max sizes seem to vary from 14-20", so I'm gonna say 55 is too small for him.

6. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Alrighty. Do you guys have any recommendations for that tank? Like some type of cichlid or larger fish? But not too large. Lol

7. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

It's a bit borderline for a Severum, Maybe firemouth. There are a lot of the dwarf cichlids though that it would be great for. The apistos, Rams and similar.

8. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Never heard of an apistos. Or is that plural? Lol. I'll look em up

9. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Don't severums get larger than Oscars? I saw one in my lps and saw they could get up to 15 in. Although it is petsmart, and they were 25 bucks a piece. So they may be overdramaticising.

10. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Not even close to larger than oscars, more like 7-9" would be a big one. They're around the middle of the cichlid range.

Appistogramma.

May be only one P, can't remember.

11. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Huh. Ok. Dang. So they were trying to make it reasonable for them to be more expensive. Idiots

12. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Average size cb P senegalus is 8"-10" which is pushing it in a 55.

13. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

So I was on Instagram, and in thr feed I saw these beautiful fish called badis. Do you think I would be able to get a badis in my 55?

14. Stephen HiattWell Known MemberMember

Scarlet Badis are even prettier. You could get a large handful in your 55. At least 10-20.

15. FishpunsValued MemberMember

You could definitely get badis! My lfs has a tank of scarlet badis that I've been eyeing up for ages. They stay rather small too, I would do a couple dozen alone in a 55 or 1 dozen with a tank mate

16. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Ok thanks!!!

17. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

agree with @slayer5590 . 75 would probably be minimum for a senegalus. Same for severums. Sevs can normally get to around 8 or 9 inches. In the wild they can get a bit larger.

Badis would be fine but you wouldn't want to put anything larger than them or extremely active in the tank. They are a very shy fish and some need to be fed live foods. So make sure whatever you buy they are flake/pellet acclimated

Some cichlids that would be appropriate that are commonly found would be a single blood parrot, eb acaras, firemouths, rainbow cichlids, bandits, rams, apistos, laetacaras, or kribs

18. PolyguyNew MemberMember

I know this is an old thread but just want to put my opinion on senegalus, i agree @tyguy7760 about captive breed senegalus growin to 8"-9", they can grow bigger 10"-12" but takes along time. Some senegal ive own only grow to 5"-6" and i had it for 4yrs, genetics play a big role to the fish growth rate due to massive breeding. So its safe to have 3 senegal in a 55g.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice