Bichir

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I recently found out my tiger oscar will grow too big for his 55 gallon. So, once he is big enough that I have to find a new home for him, I was wondering if I'd be able to keep a bichir in that tank. The only ones they have at my lfs is the "dinosaur bichir." I think this is aka the Senegal bichir. Thanks to anyone for the help

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you

Books&Fish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't have one, but a local craiglist ad has a person selling one with its tank. It's a 220 gallon and that fish takes up a lot of space! I would say no.

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
KeepSwimming said:
I don't have one, but a local craiglist ad has a person selling one with its tank. It's a 220 gallon and that fish takes up a lot of space! I would say no.
Oh darn. Ok thank you

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CatPlaysWithPets said:
Hey guys. So I recently found out my tiger oscar will grow too big for his 55 gallon. So, once he is big enough that I have to find a new home for him, I was wondering if I'd be able to keep a bichir in that tank. The only ones they have at my lfs is the "dinosaur bichir." I think this is aka the Senegal bichir. Thanks to anyone for the help
The Senegalus are one of the smaller ones. Max sizes seem to vary from 14-20", so I'm gonna say 55 is too small for him.

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
TwoHedWlf said:
The Senegalus are one of the smaller ones. Max sizes seem to vary from 14-20", so I'm gonna say 55 is too small for him.
Alrighty. Do you guys have any recommendations for that tank? Like some type of cichlid or larger fish? But not too large. Lol

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
TwoHedWlf said:
It's a bit borderline for a Severum, Maybe firemouth. There are a lot of the dwarf cichlids though that it would be great for. The apistos, Rams and similar.
Never heard of an apistos. Or is that plural? Lol. I'll look em up

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
TwoHedWlf said:
It's a bit borderline for a Severum, Maybe firemouth. There are a lot of the dwarf cichlids though that it would be great for. The apistos, Rams and similar.
Don't severums get larger than Oscars? I saw one in my lps and saw they could get up to 15 in. Although it is petsmart, and they were 25 bucks a piece. So they may be overdramaticising.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CatPlaysWithPets said:
Don't severums get larger than Oscars? I saw one in my lps and saw they could get up to 15 in. Although it is petsmart, and they were 25 bucks a piece. So they may be overdramaticising.
Not even close to larger than oscars, more like 7-9" would be a big one. They're around the middle of the cichlid range.

CatPlaysWithPets said:
Never heard of an apistos. Or is that plural? Lol. I'll look em up
Appistogramma.

May be only one P, can't remember.

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
Huh. Ok. Dang. So they were trying to make it reasonable for them to be more expensive. Idiots

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
So I was on Instagram, and in thr feed I saw these beautiful fish called badis. Do you think I would be able to get a badis in my 55?

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CatPlaysWithPets said:
So I was on Instagram, and in thr feed I saw these beautiful fish called badis. Do you think I would be able to get a badis in my 55?
Scarlet Badis are even prettier. You could get a large handful in your 55. At least 10-20.

Fishpuns

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CatPlaysWithPets said:
You could definitely get badis! My lfs has a tank of scarlet badis that I've been eyeing up for ages. They stay rather small too, I would do a couple dozen alone in a 55 or 1 dozen with a tank mate

OP
C

CatPlaysWithPets

Reaction score
Fishpuns said:
You could definitely get badis! My lfs has a tank of scarlet badis that I've been eyeing up for ages. They stay rather small too, I would do a couple dozen alone in a 55 or 1 dozen with a tank mate
Ok thanks!!!

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
agree with slayer5590 . 75 would probably be minimum for a senegalus. Same for severums. Sevs can normally get to around 8 or 9 inches. In the wild they can get a bit larger.

Badis would be fine but you wouldn't want to put anything larger than them or extremely active in the tank. They are a very shy fish and some need to be fed live foods. So make sure whatever you buy they are flake/pellet acclimated

Some cichlids that would be appropriate that are commonly found would be a single blood parrot, eb acaras, firemouths, rainbow cichlids, bandits, rams, apistos, laetacaras, or kribs

Polyguy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know this is an old thread but just want to put my opinion on senegalus, I agree tyguy7760 about captive breed senegalus growin to 8"-9", they can grow bigger 10"-12" but takes along time. Some senegal ive own only grow to 5"-6" and I had it for 4yrs, genetics play a big role to the fish growth rate due to massive breeding. So its safe to have 3 senegal in a 55g.

New Threads