Bichir In A 20h

1. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

So, my brother came down on vacation and with him, he brought a Senegal bichir. It's been more than a week and he's been living a critter catcher (the return policy is only 5 days)

I have an empty 20H that I could stick him in. I don't have any other tanks at the moment. He's about 5-6 inches. Do you think he could stay in the 20H? If so, how long. I could probably get him another tank by late august. How big of a tank should I get him? Any other information on this fish would be great (I know nothing about themwhich is why I can't stand when my family members do this)
  2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Senegalus would need a 55 minimum for life. They would do well for a time in a 40b if length was an issue. They usually top out around 9 inches but can get larger if WC.

I would not keep him in a 20H any longer.

3. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

So will he be okay in the 20 until August? And any idea what he eats? He doesn't seem to like the pellets or the flakes. And any idea on how to set his tank up to be a bit more comfortable for him? It's bare bottom rn
  4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe give him a thin layer of sand. If he's not eating sinking shrimp pellets, i'd try to feed him some blood worms or even frozen fish and see if he eats that. Bichirs can be hard to feed.

5. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I have frozen brine shrimp, would that work? And yeah, I have sand with some decently large pebbles. I guess I'll remove the larger ones to prevent any injury. Should I add anything else? I'm guessing I shouldn't add anything too big because he still needs room to grow(?)
  6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not add anything in there with him. I'd get him out of that tank as soon as possible. The size he is in could very well be the reason he's not eating.

frozen brine would be fine to try.
  7. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

8. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Also, I may have overestimated him. I say he's about 4 inches now that I'm looking at him in the 20.
  9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

That may give you some time, but I still wouldn't keep him in there any longer than you must
  10. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I got a 45 gallon for him. I'm hoping it's enough since I have plans for my other tanks and not enough space for a bigger one

@tyguy7760 do you think I'll still have to go bigger for him?

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

what are the dimensions of the 45 gallon?