Bichir and blood parrot?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see why not. At least as a grow out tank. Eventually the cichlid will outgrow the tank and would need something more like a 75-125. Not so much due to the water volumn, but more the foorprint. A square shaped 55 could house them indefinitely with frequent maintenance.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
1 year
MrBryan723 said:
I don't see why not. At least as a grow out tank. Eventually the cichlid will outgrow the tank and would need something more like a 75-125. Not so much due to the water volumn, but more the foorprint. A square shaped 55 could house them indefinitely with frequent maintenance.
Would weekly 50% water changes work or would it need to be a bigger percentage?

Also would a 55 breeder suffice? I'm assuming that it may be preferable?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe. Those parrots get oscar sized(over 12")and the bichir will get at least a foot long too when they're full grown. You would have to adjust your water change schedule as they grow at any rate, so just keep an eye on it and increase it as needed. 50% a week isn't a bad starting point. I still figure you would need to upgrade to at least 75g at some point in the future. Maybe a sump would be a good enough alternative if space is an issue as you can put it under the tank.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
MrBryan723 said:
Maybe. Those parrots get oscar sized(over 12")and the bichir will get at least a foot long too when they're full grown. You would have to adjust your water change schedule as they grow at any rate, so just keep an eye on it and increase it as needed. 50% a week isn't a bad starting point. I still figure you would need to upgrade to at least 75g at some point in the future. Maybe a sump would be a good enough alternative if space is an issue as you can put it under the tank.
I've been told that a 30g is the minimum tank size for a parrot, and that a 40 is the minimum for a dino bichir?

So I was under the impression that a 55g would be ok for only the two?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reactions
Bloodfeather said:
I've been told that a 30g is the minimum tank size for a parrot, and that a 40 is the minimum for a dino bichir?

So I was under the impression that a 55g would be ok for only the two?
I own two blood parrots, and I strongly disagree with the 30g minimum that I've also seen on some sites. I've also never heard of a parrot reaching 12+ inches. Typically 8" is a good sized adult parrot.

I would say you would maybe be okay with a 55. I've been told that's enough room for senegal birchir (no personal experience but I was considering getting a birchir at one point so I did some research). The issue may come from the parrot though. It all comes down to the individual honestly. Of my two parrots, one remained smaller (4-5") and he would definitely be fine in a 55, but my other parrot (7ish") would probably be a bit big for a 55. She would have enough room to turn around obviously, but not a whole lot of room to swim front to back. Some parrots are also very aggressive and may not tolerate tank mates in a 55.

So you could start with the 55, but know depending on your parrot, you may need to upgrade. I keep both my parrots in a 75 and it seems like plenty of room for them.

blennylover2323

Reactions
Experience
5 years
Birchir will most likely grow out of the tank. I was going to get one personally but was told that I wasn’t allowed to keep it in a 100 gallon. Having a single blood parrot in a 55 sounds ok but not for the birchir.

By the way I was looking at a certain type of birchir, I’m not sure if it’s all the same with all types of birchirs
Hope that helped!

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
blennylover2323 said:
Birchir will most likely grow out of the tank. I was going to get one personally but was told that I wasn’t allowed to keep it in a 100 gallon. Having a single blood parrot in a 55 sounds ok but not for the birchir.

By the way I was looking at a certain type of birchir, I’m not sure if it’s all the same with all types of birchirs
Hope that helped!
I'm saying a dinosaur/senegal, which usually max out at just below a foot. I've seen and read of a 40 breeder being fine for one.

AngryRainbow said:
I own two blood parrots, and I strongly disagree with the 30g minimum that I've also seen on some sites. I've also never heard of a parrot reaching 12+ inches. Typically 8" is a good sized adult parrot.

I would say you would maybe be okay with a 55. I've been told that's enough room for senegal birchir (no personal experience but I was considering getting a birchir at one point so I did some research). The issue may come from the parrot though. It all comes down to the individual honestly. Of my two parrots, one remained smaller (4-5") and he would definitely be fine in a 55, but my other parrot (7ish") would probably be a bit big for a 55. She would have enough room to turn around obviously, but not a whole lot of room to swim front to back. Some parrots are also very aggressive and may not tolerate tank mates in a 55.

So you could start with the 55, but know depending on your parrot, you may need to upgrade. I keep both my parrots in a 75 and it seems like plenty of room for them.
Thank you for the info! I think I'm gonna hold off on the blood parrot. A dino bichir is my dream fish so I'll probably end up going with one of those!

Just 1 bichir, maybe a pleco.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Bichir and Blood parrot would work fine. In fact I want to start up a semi-aggressive like that someday. You could also do bichir & African cichlid in 55 gallons+. Either works just Blood parrotfish & Bichir would need more Space, at least 75 gallons.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Bloodfeather said:
Would I be able to do 1 bichir and 1 african cichlid? In a 40-55? or are there any other predatory fish that can go with a bichir that are smaller/less aggressive?
African cichlids are a no no if you only want one. Also african cichlid applies to hundreds of different species. If anything the bichr might eat the african cichlid.

Also according to seriouslyfish, ( ) Senegal bichrs can get closer to 2 feet. Not 1. And they reccomend a 5x2x2 foot tank. A 40 gallom is too small for any 1 foot fish long term :)

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
African cichlids are a no no if you only want one. Also african cichlid applies to hundreds of different species. If anything the bichr might eat the african cichlid.

Also according to seriouslyfish, ( ) Senegal bichrs can get closer to 2 feet. Not 1. And they reccomend a 5x2x2 foot tank. A 40 gallom is too small for any 1 foot fish long term :)
I'm saying a 55.

In captivity, dinosaur bichirs rarely get over 1 foot. I'm saying this from experience and research.

I personally know several professional fishkeepers, and multiple of them have kept dino bichirs. Theirs thrived in 40-55 gallon tanks, and one was placed in a 90 gallon. Even the one in the 90g stayed below 11". T

They do not grow very large in captivity, even when kept in proper conditions and proper dietary needs.

Another bichir, owned by a friend of mine, is kept in a large tank, and maxed out at about 8". He is an adult, fed with live fish, live crickets, and frozen bloodworms. Also perfectly healthy.

You can successfully keep a bichir in a 40-55g. IME, they stay smaller, more short bodied, and are easily the smallest bichir you can own.

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree.

OP
Bloodfeather

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
kanzekatores said:
Bichir and Blood parrot would work fine. In fact I want to start up a semi-aggressive like that someday. You could also do bichir & African cichlid in 55 gallons+. Either works just Blood parrotfish & Bichir would need more Space, at least 75 gallons.
Thank you for your advice :)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Bloodfeather said:
I personally know several professional fishkeepers, and multiple of them have kept dino bichirs. Theirs thrived in 40-55 gallon tanks, and one was placed in a 90 gallon. Even the one in the 90g stayed below 11". T
Well, there we go. 11” inches is caused by the smaller tank.

Also, FishBase, (another reliable source) lists them as a fish that can grow to 70 centimeters.
Besides that, a foot long fish should not go in a 55> Gallon tank.
unless you can get a very large tank then grow out one, if it stays under a foot then I shall cease my argument.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
So it seems the general consensus here is that a 55 is ok to start, but a 75 minimum long term. There might be some disparity over size, but either way, these are both known to get pretty big. If budget is an issue, used tanks can be found for bargans on craigslist and other second hand sites. If space is, you might want to consider something with a more squate format that you can also add a sump to. The bigger the tank the more stable and easier to maintain at any rate. I sense things are getting a little heated here, but we're mostly just trying to help out.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
There are a few upside down catfish species you might want to look in to. I know some of them get plenty big enough to not be eaten, but top out at around 9" an african leaf fish might also be compatible, and they're a lot of fun to own.
I would agree to stay away from the lake cichlids, I could see them picking the eyes out of a bichir or getting eaten themselves.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
You could physically fit them in there, but really even with just the 2 fish, I feel like it would be cramped, once you look at how big they can potentially get, as well as behavior.

But I haven't kept either of them in a tank of my own personally, only have seen them for a few minutes and done research.

New Threads