Bhodgkiss Aquabid Review

junebug
I have mixed feelings about this seller. Given that I frequently sell and ship fish all over the US, I think I have a pretty good feeling for how it should be handled.

Now, I ordered a trio of N. elegans from this seller and an additional male dwarf panda guppy for a separate breeding project.

The male N. elegans arrived DOA today. It looked like he had been dead around a day.

The problem is, the DOA arrival could have been avoided. I believe the little guy overheated, as his bag was closest to the heat pack. This shouldn't have happened. But the heat pack was just in a brown paper bag, and the fish weren't wrapped in any kind of insulation. I find this.... troubling.

The seller made clear that he prefers overnight shipping, but overnight seemed like overkill for a few small, hardy livebearers so I went with priority instead. Therein lies my mistake; I assumed he would ship priority on a Monday since it can take up to three days to arrive. He shipped on a Tuesday. Why? I can't begin to guess.

The lack of insulation on the fish is really disturbing to me. With such a wide variance of temperatures across the US at this time of year, I would be insulating all of my fish, and wrapping the heat pack properly in newspaper, taping it to the top of the box.

Also there were two boxes. I don't understand why; one was inside the other. Like it was used in place of insulation.

However, the fish that weren't cooked on the second shipping night (it took 3 days to get here from NJ) seem in good health, which tells me he raises good, healthy fish. They are beautiful, especially the male guppy.

Anyway, not really a buyer beware, just an FYI on the apparent shipping practices for this seller. Overall the fish are lovely and I'm happy with the stock that survived.

KimberlyG
It is hard to lose any of these beautiful babies.
I thank you for the observation. I don't normally order online this time of year, but I am trying to get a tank finished. The last order of 25 fish, I lost 8. I have a couple of people on aquabid that I order from and their packageing has been exceptional. I steer clear from people who will not guarantee second day shipping. It screems "I don't know how to ship fish". Side note: I have seen Panda Guppies...SO CUTE! Good luck,

junebug
Eh there are times of year I won't ship at all. But when I ship, I don't mind doing priority unless it's really cold, or really hot. As it was neither this week, I wasn't concerned. I am mostly just perturbed that the fish weren't insulated and were literally just wrapped in a black plastic bag instead. A paper bag would have been better. But nothing beats actually insulating the shipping bags.

I am acclimating them right now and one of the females that survived is all twitchy. Temp shock? I don't know. We'll see if she makes it.

KimberlyG
junebug said:
Eh there are times of year I won't ship at all. But when I ship, I don't mind doing priority unless it's really cold, or really hot. As it was neither this week, I wasn't concerned. I am mostly just perturbed that the fish weren't insulated and were literally just wrapped in a black plastic bag instead. A paper bag would have been better. But nothing beats actually insulating the shipping bags.

I am acclimating them right now and one of the females that survived is all twitchy. Temp shock? I don't know. We'll see if she makes it.
It was 17*f here this morning. (Northwest Suburbs of Chicago) It has been that way, so all shipped to me would have died. Are they in a quarantine tank Junebug? I can't say enough about aquarium salt easing the acclimation process. It gradually is taken out with water changes before they hit the display tank. (Sorry, I know you know all of this) My last order was delayed due to the Halloween attack in NYC. My fish were shipped less than an hour before the attack so protocols shut everything down and packages went no where. Because they were late, I was not home that day. I picked them up from the post office and was able to start a drip, but I couldn't intervene in the process until 9 hours later. There was very bad ammonia poisoning when I got home. Thank God for methylene blue. By the next morning, I was relieved to see that methylene blue did what methylene blue does. The ammonia burns were all but gone on most of the fish. I don't know if the "bleeding gills" will ever disappear from the three that still have visable signs, but they seem to be doing well. Methylene blue does SO much. If your baby is still having problems, I would consider using it. You don't seem like someone who is concerned about their seals getting stained. Good luck. I would love to see those babies when they get settled.

junebug
Aquarium salt is not good for freshwater fish. If they had something, I might treat with it, but all they "have" is stress from improper packing, sadly. I don't think their issues have to do with acclimation so much as they have to do with them nearly being cooked in the shipping box. No ammonia burns, no torn fins, just stress in general.

The girl is still hanging on. Hopefully she'll pull through. Otherwise I guess the shrimp are getting a tasty snack over the weekend while I'm at home and not here to pull out any bodies :/

junebug
For an idea of how they were packed, see photos.

I hate that I have to write non-positive reviews lately.

IMG_20171110_152347.jpg

IMG_20171110_152343.jpg

chromedome52
Actually, for most livebearing Poeciliids, a bit of salt is helpful, as it eases the cell osmotic pressures. It's kind of like using peroxide to release extra oxygen into the water. There is a specific amount that gives an exact balance; unfortunately, I've forgotten what that was. I think that it was less than most people use for disease treatments, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. The speaker actually gave it as a specific gravity measurement (which I forgot to write down; this was nearly 20 years ago).

junebug
chromedome52 said:
Actually, for most livebearing Poeciliids, a bit of salt is helpful, as it eases the cell osmotic pressures. It's kind of like using peroxide to release extra oxygen into the water. There is a specific amount that gives an exact balance; unfortunately, I've forgotten what that was. I think that it was less than most people use for disease treatments, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. The speaker actually gave it as a specific gravity measurement (which I forgot to write down; this was nearly 20 years ago).
Understandable that you don't remember an obscure detail from 20 years ago LOL.

There is not a lot of info out there on this species, but what I have found is that they are strictly freshwater fish and shouldn't need any salt. Either way there was nothing wrong with the females aside from temperature shock, as I suspect the inside of the box got very warm, then very cold, then temperate.

We will see, as on Monday I'll be back at work and hopefully they will both still be in there.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom