Important Beware Walmart shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not that many of us do our fish shopping at Walmart....but if you happen by the fish section(prepare to be generally disgusted at the conditions at first) they are infamous, at least in my area(Milwaukee), for carrying the cute little green spotted variety of puffers. I have been to two different Walmarts and both had them in surplus.

They sell them as freshwater and will offer no actual knowledge of care or tank requirements and/or possible tankmates as my wife unfortunately found out when buying one for her community tank when we first started out and he literally devoured one of our angels all but the poor guys triangular body that we found stuck to the filter the next day. A hard learned lesson for sure.

Anyway just a heads up, they are extremely smart and friendly looking and VERY hard to pass up when you see them in the shady conditions of a Walmart back isle aquarium. As they usually sell fairly cheap(about $4.50-$5.00 at ours) it will be hard to resist saving a few from Walmart death for a rookie aquarist like my wife and myself.

Big thumbs down to Walmart from me for tossing these out the door like minnows, and letting Joe Stockboy be in charge of any tank care.

Ohyouknow

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have to agree with this, although they don't carry puffers at my store. Out of the 20 tanks, 75% of the tanks are empty or mostly dead. I was going to buy a snail from there, to feed my puffer - (of course allow it to be fruitful and multiply first) but I didn't trust their water conditions to not be diseased. Their tanks are also just clear panes of glass between them, and too often I see where they have bettas together in tanks, or attacking each other through the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom