Beware Of Fish Food

1. kaystar Member Member

I bought some Tetramin 14 day holiday food for my fish at the weekend. I put it in yesterday at 5.30 and went to bed at 10.00, all was fine.

I was woken up by my dad, who turns on the tank light when he goes to work at 6. He told me that the water was all coudly and that most of my fish were dead. I raced downstairs to find 5 of my 6 tetras dead and my male guppy not looking to good. I did a 50% water change immideatly but had to leave for work. I asked my dad to let me know how they were when he got home, thankfully my tetra and guppy are still alive.

But I want to warn people about this product. I am going back to the pet store tonight where i got it from and reccomment they take it off the shelves. I also emailed a complaint to the company Terta about this but am still waiting for a reply.

So be aware about this product, i dont want what happened to me to happen to anyone else.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

This is exactly why I recommend against using these products. The fish would have been fine for a few days without food. Sorry for your losses.

3. Melissawater Member Member

Sorry for your losses Kay :'(

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yeah, i've read that those feeder pyramids can really mess up a tank. I don't think it is just tetra's, or that the one you picked up was faulty - i think it's that type of food product. Doubt they'll take it off the shelf, especially this close to the holiday.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. If you are going to be on a long vacation, it is highly recommended that you have someone come in and give your fish some food at least once or twice a week. If that's not possible, then some people recommend getting a high-quality automatic feeder (although those also malfunction and are not without their problems.)

*hugs*

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, thanks for letting the rest of us know xx

6. kaystar Member Member

Thank you for your kind words :) My tetra and guppy are still doing fine thankfully. I still havent reveived a reply from Tetea but i will post what they say on here x

7. kaystar Member Member

I spoke to a member of staff at pets at home and told her what happened. She then told her manager who didnt seem to bothed and replyed "I use the product and its fine" and then told the member of staff that it was our fault because the tank was to small! Personally I think whatever the size of the tank it would have clouded it up. It clearly states on the back of the packaging that it doesnt cloud up the water...

8. kaystar Member Member

This is the email i got back from the Tetra

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our product. Our vacation/weekend feeders do not release. The fish have to pick off the food and eat it that way.
    As you may know, it is very hard to get a fish to eat a different food. They usually will not eat a food that they are not used to. This being said, I recommend pinching a piece of the food off of the block & feeding it to the fish. This will help them to realize that this is food.

Thank you for choosing United Pet Group.

Sincerely,

United Pet Group

Doesnt even refer to what i told them. they didnt even read my complaint! Not at all happy with them.

9. meg1220 Member Member

Hm, that reads like a form letter. They probably get so many complaints about that product that they just made up a standard letter in response. Not impressive.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry you aren't getting a better response. How are your survivors faring?

11. kaystar Member Member

They are good thank you for asking. I went to pet shop last night and got another guppy and 3 tetras because i didnt want them to be lonely. They are all doing great and getting on good too :)

12. mitchgmace Member Member

Wow, that's to bad! Sorry to hear. Better luck.

13. Morgan Member Member

Sorry about your fish Kay. Unfortunantly these companies don't listen until a bigger tragedy happens, like with the dog and catfood recently. Hope the surviving fishies are doing well.