Beware of feeding organic vege

Shrimpee

Tried feeding my shrimps some organic cabbage...
Then realised all shrimps swimming around very actively..thought they were excited. 1hr later alot of them were near the surface of the water...saw my vampire shrimp right in front of the tank ..something is wrong...

Quickly changed out 50% water...than found 3 shrimp s only the side dying. And the 2 vampires lying on the side too Then change another 50% water. This happened last night around 8pm
This morning found 3 dead..the 2 vampire still moving. Hopefully when I return from work they are ok..
The only thing I did last night was feed them cabbage! So beware...I read organic vege uses copper sulphate as fertilizer. Sad...
7pm..very happy looking at the shrimp tank...no dead shrimp in more than a week(I have posted a thread on high GH and shrimp dying daily)...counter at least 12 baby shrimpees...9pm...all on the brink of death and no sight of any baby shrimps...I want to cry alredy,
7pm..very happy looking at the shrimp tank...no dead shrimp in more than a week(I have posted a thread on high GH and shrimp dying daily)...counter at least 12 baby shrimpees...9pm...all on the brink of death and no sight of any baby shrimps...I want to cry alredy,

Frank the Fish guy

Ouch! Thanks for that. New to me. Copper sulfate is being used in organic farming, but it is also toxic to many creatures in our tanks, and people too! Organic? Really?

Shrimpee

Ouch! Thanks for that. New to me. Copper sulfate is being used in organic farming, but it is also toxic to many creatures in our tanks, and people too! Organic? Really?
i dunno if copper sulphate can harm shrimps. the only thing i did was feed them organice cabbage and they started swimming frantically before heading to the surface and some lying on their sides.
initially i thought was oxygen as i use CO2 durig the day for about 10 hours. but every night i would on aeration. the CO2 has been there for 2 weeks. so i dont think its the culprit.
so, the only thing i did last night was feeding the cabbage in a cage. i should have noticed when they seemed excited but non are eating the cabbage.
i also read about the copper sulphate when i googled and tried to figure whats wrong with my shrimp. but 1 thing fro sure, will just feed them shrimp food from now until i know what is going on with vegetables for shrimps.

BlackOsprey

"Natural" and "organic" hardly means "safe", and this is a great example of that, unfortunately. Thanks for letting us know.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
wetfalafel
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views