Between Mollies, Plates, And Swordtails

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

What is behavioral and temperament difference? I've read and read about them and i think I get care and size differences if much really.
    I'm just curious to hear from people who have had each.
    I've read that mollies are less shy and interact more. I have a 3 year old so this might be better bc I want him to enjoy watching the fish too.
    I'm planning on cories and a single anglefish also if that matters.
    Tank is a 37 gal heavy decor (fake plants and rock/caves)

2. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

I find that sword tails can be reclusive and less interactive though they are in my opinion the most beautiful of the bunch. Platy fish are colorful, active and definitely fun to watch as they aren't shy. And Mollies are outgoing and in my experience the most interactive of the three so they or Platys are what I'd suggest most. I'm sure you're already well aware of cory care but just make sure to get a lot of those as they are very social fish. Good luck, I'm sure your tank will be beautiful!

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Thx! I'm planning on 6 cories 3 livebearers (one male two female) and one angel.

4. Rainbows and Fishes

Thats a wonderful stocking plan, just be prepared for babies! I'd put the angel in last so it doesn't get territorial

5. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

I was thinking the exact same thing about adding the angel last! I'm hoping that fry gets eaten by adults and Angel but if not I'm gonna give anyway or sell if possible. Or if I must I'll get another tank.

6. Rainbows and Fishes

I would hope the same thing :D its always nice to have some natural population control for live bearers!

7. tum0r

tum0r Valued Member Member

Angels are semi-aggressive IMO so livebearers might not be the best idea, most livebearers are quite tame so they might feel more inclined to hide a lot if there is an angel present. That's just IME though, you might win the individual variability jackpot and get a really nice angel or some really confident livebearers. Just something to keep in mind :)

8. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Angelfish should be fine with livebearers, mine does fine with them in a 26g. Mollies are definitely more interactive. I would recommend balloon mollies if you have a young child, because they are absolutely ADORABLE and act like the dumbest fish I've ever seen. Other molly species can be nice too, especially sailfins and lyretails (I like all the weird shapes!). Platys are very basic but colorful, and breed a TON more than other livebearers in my experience. And swordtails are always a good conversation starters.

My personal fav is the balloon molly. R.I.P. Kevin (profile pic). It's been almost a year and I think about him every day :(

9. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Awww. Sorry about the loss of your dear Kevin. If you think about him that often he must have been a special fish!

10. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

He was. Usually I throw fish away when they die because I don't want to flush them or pollute my local pond, but we gave him a special burial. I filled a glasses case with rocks and put his body inside and threw it in the pond as the sun was going down. It was beautiful, and now I imagine his spirit swimming around in the pond every time we drive by :)

11. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't buy male platy's. They are a pain the rear and make the ladies hide all of the time. Not really impressed with platy's myself. I even envisioned flushing the dang male but couldn't really do it. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

Ya I've read that they can be. Especially during feeding and spawning. I'm stocking one so no spawning to worry about. And I'm gonna try to feed the angel first on one side and while distracted I'll quickly feed the mollies on the other side. I'll use feeding rings so the food will mostly stay in one area. I'm am a novice so I hope it'll work but if all else fails I'll buy another tank to separate if needed.
    Also the tank is heavy decor (fake plants and rocks/caves) so that should help with line of site.

13. tum0r

tum0r Valued Member Member

Excellent, it's great to see that you've taken that into consideration and are prepared if things go sour. I hope everything works out for you :)

14. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

My kind of thinking. If one tank doesn't work, just buy another. That's why I have 3 plus a pond now. lol

15. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

I eventually want a pond! But not for a while bc I don't want it at my current house.
    In the distant future we will inherit land that we will build our dream house and it will have my dream pond! Lol
    My current home has 20 feral cats bc my neighbor feeds them all so I don't want to waste money on a pond. And I couldn't enjoy it here bc this neighborhood is mosquito heaven.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice