better to... ??

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IYO do you think it would make more money buying a trio of pure strains of a guppy(black moscows,etc.) and breed them or get 20 guppies that may not breed together in a community tank and just have "mutt " guppies and sell them for cheaper but have more??

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only "purebreds" I have are my leopards. The rest are mutts but I have some beautiful mutts. My neon pink male with the fancy tail is smaller than most males but hes definately a displayer hes very flashy and everyone admires him. Even fancy good looking mutts at a small mom n pop store could get you a decent amount of money,

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my mutts would make $2 at the LFS and a trio of say black moscows makes $25 on aquabid...

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You'll be better with "pure strains" in regards to selling them, IMO. I'll be testing this theory hopefully in the next few months, so we should know then if my theory is correct.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
im looking on aquabid and i don't know which strain is best! i like the black moscows the bluegrass the HB pastels and others... any opinions?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I started a thread about possibly breeding fish with the hopes of making a profit, breeders pointed out that money spent on food, water, electricity and just general everyday maintenance eats away profits quickly. And people generally won't buy fish online that they could get at a local store, ie guppy mutts. They said you'd have to have a huge operation to make any money. I called them all buzzkills () but they have a point.

Jaysee mentioned the hot new guppy is the see-through guppy that fetches a pretty penny despite being totally ugly IMO. . So maybe they would be good.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really depends on your market. If you are into a pure strain specialty guppy then chances are your real customers will be few and far between. This is from a local sale standpoint, you may do great with online sales, but you are reaching a much larger consumer base. Do you think a LFS will properly pay you for a 'pure' strain, its more likely that they won't really know enough about it or care enough to make the investment. Possibly if you can get them to put some in on consignment, then you may have something there, but honestly you are just going to have to see what they are willing to do.

Selective breeding is going to require several tanks, lots of culling and patience, so make sure your end result is worth your time and effort. If your resources are limited you may be better off getting something somewhat rare and then breeding it, that way the potential customers and LFS already knows what to expect in the fish and also in the cost. Just my opinion though. Best of luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom