Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Better Test Kit Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by BusterBot28, Mar 30, 2019.

1. BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

I am looking to get a better liquid test kit than the api. I am sick of mine giving false readings. Could I use a saltwater test kit on fresh or would it not work?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

What false readings are you getting? 100% sure they're false?
    As nice as that would be, a salt kit won't work for fresh

I've heard the tetra, and seachem kits are good

4. BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

I tested no ammonia in the same water that another kit said .25-.5. I don’t feel confident in it AT ALL any more. I’ll look at the ones you guys suggested!

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Interesting, the API kit is infamous for always reading trace ammonia. Sounds like you got a bad kit then

6. Thor555Valued MemberMember

I've tried several kits, including the Hanna. My own experiments with these kits has revealed to me that the API kit is really the most accurate. It's not perfect for sure but in my testing I compared it to the other kits I've used using water with known amount of ammonia levels. I've done this by adding a known amount of water to my ammonia-free tap water and then performed "side-by-side" testing. The api turned out to be more correct in almost every instance. It's kind of a pity ... since I'm no fan of the "color shading" technique where different levels on the card look like the same shade to me. LOL ... it is what it is though.