Better Lighting Than Leds?

1. M

Mei Lin Initiate Member

What's with all the hype about LEDs? Aren't there better alternatives for planted/freshwater tanks?

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

LEDs are energy effiecent (uses 80% less electricity than other aquarium bulbs), they don’t produce heat, they last way longer, they’re great for plant growth (usually best for low to medium light plants, but it depends on your tank and the size of the LED), and you can adjust them (they can be dimmed, different color options, night light, hooked up with a timer).

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

The new gen LEDs allow for precise setting of the light spectrum for plants in FW or corals in SW.

4. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I personally prefer t5ho to led because its easier for me to get the right colour spectrum amd wave length.

5. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Lighting...
    LEDs are efficient, bright, DC power (safer), highly customizable for lumens & color temp, cool running, and some are waterproof.
    Halide are bright, hot, and expensive...
    Halogen are bright, hot, and not very tweakable.
    Fluorescent are hot, failure-prone, and they cause seizures when they turn on.
    Incandescent are power hungry and hot.
    Candles just don't work well.
    It's really not a "hype", it's a revolutionary step in technology that allows us full control (to the milliwatt) of our lighting. Area 51 may have better options, but it will take 50 years before they share.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I love it :D

7. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Made me laught too.