Better algae cleaner Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Trojan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TrojanValued MemberMember

I have a 12 gallon tank. Should I get an Otto or Mystery Snail to be my tank cleaner?

2. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Ive never had an otto but I hear that they will eat a lot of algae.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

ottos do fabulous..be require a tank thats been running a few months....with the fish you have, and their ability to scavenge constantly, you shouldnt have that much to clean..whats the cleaning you need done?

4. acolli51

acolli51Valued MemberMember

I had a lot of algae in my 20gal before I bought 3 ottos and then they kept it clean(er). One died on me for some odd reason a couple months ago but I plan to put 2-3 more back in for total of 4-5 and I think they will keep it pretty spotless. I have heard that they like to been in small schools of at least 4-5 so that is one reason to get a few but also I think that amount will keep most tanks under 30gal pretty clean from algae. My guess would be 4 would keep a 12gal pristine.

5. OP
    OP
    T

TrojanValued MemberMember

I have one GBR, 1 platy & 1 red fin tetra, 1 frog. Have been using a magnet cleaner. Thought I would add something to the tank to help keep clean. Not sure how many Otto's I can add.

6. Shawnie

ahhh i was going by your aquarium info ...updating it might help some :)

good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    T

Sorry, just updated my info

8. OP
    OP
    T

Can I keep an Otto by itself or do I have to have multiple Otto's?

9. DigglyWell Known MemberMember

they are happier in groups so I would recommend 3 at least.

10. Shawnie

dont be sorry :) I was going on what you had listed thats all...but I think you are at maximum stock with the fish you have in a 12g tank.....not that ottos are huge fish or big waste producers, the ones you do have need the space ...but thats just my advice..im sure others will have some also :)

11. rt12Valued MemberMember

Both would be fine but snails require better water quality. For algae eaters though its a toss up as to whether or not they actually eat the algae. Snails do a decent job most of the time though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice