Better algae cleaner Help

1. Trojan Member Member

I have a 12 gallon tank. Should I get an Otto or Mystery Snail to be my tank cleaner?

2. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Ive never had an otto but I hear that they will eat a lot of algae.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ottos do fabulous..be require a tank thats been running a few months....with the fish you have, and their ability to scavenge constantly, you shouldnt have that much to clean..whats the cleaning you need done?

4. acolli51 Member Member

I had a lot of algae in my 20gal before I bought 3 ottos and then they kept it clean(er). One died on me for some odd reason a couple months ago but I plan to put 2-3 more back in for total of 4-5 and I think they will keep it pretty spotless. I have heard that they like to been in small schools of at least 4-5 so that is one reason to get a few but also I think that amount will keep most tanks under 30gal pretty clean from algae. My guess would be 4 would keep a 12gal pristine.

5. Trojan Member Member

I have one GBR, 1 platy & 1 red fin tetra, 1 frog. Have been using a magnet cleaner. Thought I would add something to the tank to help keep clean. Not sure how many Otto's I can add.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ahhh i was going by your aquarium info ...updating it might help some :)

good luck!

7. Trojan Member Member

Sorry, just updated my info

8. Trojan Member Member

Can I keep an Otto by itself or do I have to have multiple Otto's?

9. Diggly Well Known Member Member

they are happier in groups so I would recommend 3 at least.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

dont be sorry :) I was going on what you had listed thats all...but I think you are at maximum stock with the fish you have in a 12g tank.....not that ottos are huge fish or big waste producers, the ones you do have need the space ...but thats just my advice..im sure others will have some also :)

11. rt12 Member Member

Both would be fine but snails require better water quality. For algae eaters though its a toss up as to whether or not they actually eat the algae. Snails do a decent job most of the time though