Bettas!

LarryDavid

I have just recived a tank from my nan
Shes just got a brand new 80 gallon anyway...This tank is a 25 gallon and ive never kept bettas before and would certainly love to have some..

What my question (Well questions ) are, would I be able to have a male and a female both together in this tank?
If not would a tank devider be ok?
What kind of tank layout would make them the most happiest?

Answers will be extremely Helpful

And any info on buyin sexing ect

Ty Peeps

Richard

You might get away with putting female Bettas together in the same tank if they're from the same batch of fry and still young, but even then you may have fatalities because they have a strict hierarchy which is enforced in the most violent way when they mature.. never put two males together because they'll kill each other, I'll never forget seeing a group of males tearing into each other at one of my LFS because their individual tanks collapsed leaving them in the same big tank together, scary stuff.. and a male and female should NEVER be put together unless it's for breeding purposes, and you need to know what you're doing in that situation.. you'll find a lot of us Betta owners in here who wish they were more community minded with each other, but unfortunately that's not the case... putting in a divider in your tank(as long as it's firmly in place) with one Betta on each side could work though.

Isabella

I think that's a good "Chickadee" question

Stradius011

ChrisRamo said:
What my question (Well questions ) are, would I be able to have a male and a female both together in this tank?
If not would a tank devider be ok?
What kind of tank layout would make them the most happiest?

Answers will be extremely Helpful

And any info on buyin sexing ect
It depends if you can keep a male and female together. There are some male bettas that are gentle (pretty rare) but most of them are vicious towards females and could kill them. When buying it is always better to buy the non-flashy bettas. The flashy bettas are usually old at the pet store. Males are usually more colorful and females have a white spot at the bottom near the gills. I forgot what it was called all the sudden.

chickadee

Since the tank is so large (80 gallons) and you only have mentioned having the two fish in there I would say that you may get by with the female on one side and the male on the other. You may get by with 3 females on one side and 1 male on the other since females really do better in 3's if they are bought at the same time from the same time from the same breeder where they are used to each other. Expect a little fighting since they need to establish a dominant female. Once the "pecking order" is establistablished though it should stop. Never buy a female heavy with eggs though or your male will go ape trying to get in the female tank. He will usually ignore them since he has that much room and especially if you do not put any other tank mates in but some cories or otos in each side. Something peaceful and quiet and nothing else. Nothing that is going to challenge him or feel like a threat or swim in a level that he will notice. I know that is a lot of rules but if you want bettas in the tanks that is the way to do it. A divider made of the plastic that you use to do craft needlepoint (made of plastic would be the best) It has small holes and they will not have total sight between the two areas but the water would be open to flow so you could use the the same filter and the same heater one is down for some reason. You can find different sizes at craft stores. Just ask for plastic needlepoint canvas.

If you run into more trouble let me know please.

Rose

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom