Bettas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BigDogGR, Apr 15, 2017.

1. BigDogGR

BigDogGR New Member Member

Can you put neon tetras with bettas. And can you put 2 bettas together?

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

No, dont put 2 bettas togheter..
    Females can live togheter in groups but need to be 5+ to spreadout aggresion. (A group of females also need a 20 gallon minimum)
    Males WILL fight to the death

I.. Dont know about neons

3. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Neon tetras require a different temperature than bettas so, no. You can not put 2 bettas together if they are male and female (unless they are breeding)...you can put together a sorority of female bettas but I believe you need to have at least 5.

4. OP
    OP
    BigDogGR

I'm at petsmart. I finally seen a beta that has the colors I like. But I am using my 10 gallon tank for my sick tetras. They are healthy again. So I was going to put them back in my 40 gallon. But I seen another betta that doesn't look so good and want to save it. Just looking for help on what I can do

How can tell a male betta and female

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

They should be labeled, but the males should have longer fins (you can't always be sure when they are young though), females will also usually have an egg spot at the bottom of their body (isn't always accurate either though)... If you are looking at getting two, you could put a divider in the center of the tank and keep two together, but I'd put some plants on either side of the divider so they don't see each other that often... You have to watch buying dividers though, sometimes it's better to just make them, they have been known to jump the dividers.

6. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hello! :)
    Bettas are my #1 favorite fish, you will really enjoy one. :)As for neon Tetras, basically they need different water temperature than a Betta would.Nerite Snails, Ghost Shrimp, and a few others would make great tankmates for a Betta. :)

7. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01 Well Known Member Member

You could divide the 10G and keep two however they would either both have to be male or both female. You can't keep a male on one side and a female on the other. From what I read it causes problems in the females.

8. OP
    OP
    BigDogGR

What temp should it be? My tanks are at 78. I live in phoenix and the a/c is at 78. Yes it's in the 90 here already. I don't have chiller. Those are expensive.

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas like 78-82f while neons need water below 75f

10. OP
    OP
    BigDogGR

Oh snap!

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Neons can tolerate warmer water for a short time (they would in the wild anyway) but they shouldn't be kept warmer than 75f permanently.

12. OP
    OP
    BigDogGR

It's only been that high for about a month. I'll have to turn my a/c down to 75. Awesome. My wife won't be happy lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice